ENNOID XLITE & VESC

that’s how my balance wire measures unplugt

At this point, the only advice I can give you: visually inspect if something is unwelded or burned on any side of the board in the proximity of the ballance resistors & the 64 pins ballance IC.

I can’t find anything out of the ordinary, unfortunately.
I even reflowed the LTC.

If I manually apply voltage to the balance pins, I get 28mA between pin 5 and 6, 31mA between 6 and 7 and 59mA between 7 and 8. All other pairs 0mA.

I agree with what you said earlier then… Seems definitely like the LTC got damaged somehow.

Another possibility at this point (much less likely thougth), some of the board inner traces could be internally shorted.

1 Like

ESD damage?

Possible explanation, very unlucky.
Would be the first pcb that died to esd damage for me. pcbs are generally less sensitive to esd damage then individual parts.

@ENNOID you said you still have some. DM me a price.

1 Like

Yes I have some 15S IC left.

ESD damage is also a possibility, but I never experienced ESD damage to PCB level afaik.

True. But when there are no obvious signs of another cause then, however unlikely, it is a possibility.

@ENNOID Would it be possible to compile the Ennoid fw for DieBieMs? I checked the LTC6803 drivers are still in the fw source although I don’t know how much the other stuff has changed.

Not possible right now. Too many changes. LTC6803 is not supported anymore in the ennoid branch and would require still a lot of work. LTC6803 is quite an old IC, it is 2nd gen I think and LTC6804 is 3rd & LTC6811 is 4th gen. I decided to drop support for this different IC long time ago. all others IC from analog device are more or less software compatible, but not the old LTC6803.

1 Like

Alright makes sense, I hoped that slight config editing would make it compile and bring VESC tool support for it. Since it is working fine I don’t have a reason to buy newer bms

Ok, back to developmemt of latest boards design.

XLITE-12 on the pic below seems to work fine as expected because they are based on the similar XLITE-24 which has a bit more history through 2 design iterations. I apologize on not having spent a lot of time on the PCB layout of the XLITE-12, it could be better/smaller I know… Nevertheless, I will test them in real world this week with the custom battery packs & VESC in the background of this picture:

9 Likes

Just missing Ennoid motor :grinning: full system

Lol, BLDC are damn cheap and widely available

1 Like

Any testing with axial flux?

1 Like

Give me a break on motor topic. I have enough with electronic stuff.

3 Likes

Looks like a reasonable size actually. Would be nice if the balance plug was at the edge so it could be swapped to a 90 degree version so it could lay on top of a flexi-pack.

So the XLITE-12 is a 12s charge only BMS with CAN capability to communicate with the VESC? Could the VESC read the individual p-group voltages and reduce/cut-off power if needed? Is the only thing limiting that functionality an option/firmware update to the VESC?

Yes, XLITE-12 & XLITE-24 are 12S & 24S capable charge only with VESC-BMS CAN compatibility. How the VESC handle the BMS incoming CAN bus data (cell voltage & other data) is out of my control. There might be people on this forum that know more than me on that VESC cell voltage power reduction topic.

1 Like

VESC tool shows rollback limits for temperature and SOC. I’m also interested in rollback for lowest P-group but I don’t see it implemented yet.

Looking great!

As mentioned though, it would be awesome to see that balance header located on the side for the option of vertical or horizontal.

Forgive me if it has been mentioned, but what is the size?