Ender3 All Metal Direct Drive Upgrade

Neat! Mind sharing step files for it? Btw what app are you using for the 3D models? They are pretty.

1 Like

Yeh I knew it. No V3.
Software wise everything seems fine. Calibrated the Z. Probing works just fine. As test I will try the new extruder with some prints.

2 Likes

The files are shared in the very first post. BTW, do you have m3 inserts? For bltouch and the fan holder/cable guide. I use 4 screws in all. Either they can screw into plastic or into inserts. It’s just the hole diameter that will be different in the model.

I use Solidworks.

1 Like

I left them commented. I commented on GitHub and seems they are still a working in progress

1 Like

I defined them. I will see what they give otherwise I will flash the firmware without them.

Maybe add this one as well. Can be useful for CR10s users.
If you want to use PIn11 on CR10s here the schematic to connect the BLtouch. It can be frustating find the right diagram. This one is correct. You basically need to connect the SERVO to 5v adn GND and then the orange (servo) to the PIN 11. It can also be another pin but then remeber to set it correctly in the software.
The white and black cable replace the Z limit switch in the order as shown, or the sensor won’t work. If when you turn on the printer the BLtouch starts a couple of cycle where it moves the probe up and done, the wiring should be fine. Then time to upload the firmware.

Based on the version Cr10s can come also with a slightly different board. In that case the connections stays the same. Here the diagram. Remember to conncet the white cable towards the center of the board.

1 Like

Added as a link. How’s the print?

1 Like

Yeh now at work. I finished to mount the spool holder on top. After I will try to check calibration and print something.

1 Like

At the end couldn’t resist. Came back home for lunch and calibration is perfect as it is. Unbelievable.

First print on going…

0.2mm 8%infill 3 walls. Not bad

4 Likes

Hehe, I know that feeling. That’s awesome, congrats. I should give BLTouch a try. I haven’t yet, because manual has been working just fine for me.

2 Likes

If you already have direct drive made then is literally 1 hour of work to instal the probe. Between the different probes is the best to me because is phycally mapping the surface. So you can change the build plate and just press print. You add G29 in the gcode initial script and it runs it automatically.
I advice to get from Trianglelab since they give you the cables extension to reach the board for the wiring.

1 Like

I actually have the bltouch with me and my bltouch wire has already been routed into the electronics box. Haha. Just have to make the connection inside and load the firmware.

1 Like

ahahahah then is like 15 minutes with a coffee :rofl: Do you have the pins connector to avoid any cutting and soldering for the Ender 3?

Nice that you got the Taulman nylon sorted.

1 Like

I have crimps and the right crimp tool. No issues there.
And taulman 910 prints superbly. It’s so fucking strong. The trick to prevent warping is to use PVA on the bed and maintaining the same uniform bed temperature in the enclosure too i.e. 45C

Also if you ever print nylon run a cheap PTFE tubing(the ones that have inner dia slightly larger than Capricorn ) from the dry box to the bondtech. Mine has been opened for almost a week and still hasn’t absorbed moisture.

6 Likes

And prints nice too!

Really nice hubs. Now it should last for a while!
I have a general nylon and will try that first, Then I will order NylonX for some new projects I am working on. I am waiting the hardened steel nozzles.

1 Like

Agreed the clone stuff from AliExpress is excellently slippery, have not compared to real Capricorn tubing since it’s just too expensive

Ah, I meant to write cheap PTFE tubing. Basically the ones with slightly larger inner diameter than Capricorn to reduce friction.

Like this…I bought it, friction free and good value, cheap upgrade over stock ptfe tubing

How is your warping with 910? Mine even with pva on pei wraps. I even tried pva on blue tape and the print was able to wrap dammit :joy:

1 Like