Enclosed Belt Drive for Trampa ATB and MBS Matrix II trucks (Gauging opinions)

Thanks for your opinion!
It is indeed similar. However, I aim to use this one on both trampa spring and MBS matrix II trucks, plus integrate a TPU seal along the cover to provide a better sealed drive.

Do you mean drag as in less efficient? I’ve used the 2017 trampa pro belt drive with idler and I got a lower wh/km than my current geardrive, a friend also reported his geardrive was less efficient than his belt setup, so in case of efficiency a belt drive doesnt have to be lesser to a geardrive. But imo the differences are not significant enough to choose the one over the other.

A geardrive is too complex and expensive for me to make myself, so I set out to make a belt drive to gain experience with CNCing. This project is more to develop myself and If there is no interest I will not do a run, Ill just use them for personal builds :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Andy87 interesting idea, but I was also thinking about what @taz mentioned, the teeth are quite big resulting in larger wheel gears and therefore even less clearance. But might be something to look into because the motor gear can be significantly smaller aswell right?

2 Likes

My experience has been the exact opposite. In any case it is your project and not everyone is the same so go for it.

2 Likes

I think the french guys use 04b chains and sprockets. The diameter should be smaller with them.

On the topic of drag.
I can only compare my chain drive to straight cut gear drive and on a 12s7p vtc5a pack it’s about 5km difference in range. I get about 30km with chains and about 35km with gears.

1 Like

I think the smallest is 8t as min with 10mm shaft and 06b chains.

2 Likes

Can we get a 1:3 ratio for lower to mid KV 6" street applications? 1:4 on a 190KV is too slow.

I’m running a 1:2.9 right now and its lovely.

1 Like

Why do you need an enclosed belt drive for street applications?

2 Likes

Why not :smiley:

3 Likes

That is why I used the word need instead of the word want :wink:

2 Likes

Will look into it, design is parametric anyway. I guess it would look quite slick on a nice street setup.

To extend the life of the belts to basically forever?

Jake and i have been talking about sealed belt drives forever. A compact system with 12mm or 15mm belts and ratios friendly to both urethane and street tires in a form factor that doesn’t grind the ground on thane would basically eliminate all the bad things people associate with belts. No more rocks in pulleys that cause burring and rapid belt deterioration, no more slices on belts from shit on the street, no more plants tangled up in the belts, etc etc. Basically no more replacing belts untill they literally wear out from friction resulting from normal use.

4 Likes

Ready for 3D printing (trampa config)

3 Likes

3D print version is fully printed, just waiting for belts and some other hardware to arrive. Will probably try to run the drive before the end of the month :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

Got almost all the test parts, some clearance issues so will have to adjust some dimensions. 460mm belt is just a tad too large. Still waiting on smaller belts to try those. Hoping to test the drive soon :grin:

7 Likes

My big sealed belt energy senses are tingling…

5 Likes

That is strange. I always felt way more resistance with belt drives. Let go of throttle and the board slows down immediately / no coasting.

Running wide belts though.

1 Like

There is efficiency during power delivery and efficiency during freeroll.

Belts are very efficient during their power delivery. Not much power is wasted when you’re really on the gas. Even though the freeroll may seem highly inefficient, its the sum of both conditions that determine the overall range.

2 Likes

Yes more people reported this, also depends on the drive you are using I think. There are many variables in each and everyone’s setup. I have to admit my 2017 trampa pro belt drive definitely had a low resistance though. Got 11-12 wh/km avg with that drive. Since I have the etoxx drives I get around 14wh/km, its not much but it was noticable in the logs. In light of @Boardnamics 's comment, I rarely freeroll, almost always have the throttle going unless braking of course.

2 Likes