EMTB gear drive design and build

Lol this is how I started the thread and I got yelled at :joy::joy:

Itā€™s basically a clone (I donā€™t care if itā€™s inspired by BN or not) with maybe 1 benefit or 2, at the same price point.

We can get deep into the weeds of ā€œitā€™s just a box with two gearsā€ but the design is quite similar

1 Like

I think the Boardnamics M1 AT Drive looks like a great design, although I never seen one in real life. I wouldnā€™t say there would be a lot of performance difference between my design and theirs, maybe mine would be a bit more watertight.

If your based in the USA it would make sense to buy Boardnamics, but if your based in the UK or Europe, hopefully you would consider buying one of my drives when they are ready.

looks hella nice. How is the gasket getting manufactured? Are you going to do that yourself?

1 Like

You know BN ships internationally right? Theyā€™re also stocked in Aus

Your one difference is probably just the gasket, saying corrosion resistant is just a difference of fasteners

If he sized it right he can probably get them en masse for a couple cents each

Oh wait they arenā€™t round

The seller. Itā€™s just another gear drive offering. No one is reinventing any wheels.

Price, looks, availability, shipping, (TBD) performance.

You BN SHILL!

5 Likes

Haha my question was genuine, no malicious intent.

I do like the better seals these have

3 Likes

You have to admit there is more of a difference between this and moon though than this and BN

1 Like

This 1 feature alone would change a lot of minds imo. Hardened steel and quiet.

2 Likes

I guess we will see once video comes out but these two things do not really go together :joy::joy:

@op do you have any prototypes yet?

3 Likes

If you asked 100 people familiar with esk8 gears to design a case, Iā€™m confident a lot of them would look like 2 circles, larger than the gears, joined together in a metal casing. Moonā€™s gear drives are nice aesthetically because he drafted them in and blended the overlap of the 2 case circles instead of making it look likeā€¦ 2 circles. Look at helical Russian plastic gear drive as well. Itā€™s a more simple design approach :man_shrugging:t3:

I could knock out a gear drive case in under an hour and it would look similar to this or moonā€™s depending on how hard I felt like tryingā€¦ Absolutely no disrespect intended. Itā€™s just the natural design process to house 2 differently sized gears while taking up the least amount of space. Just like how our enclosures are just big rectangles with different shaped edges.

9 Likes

Yeah who cares about the looks, I wanna hear about new functionality, if these are quiet Iā€™d be down to test

2 Likes

yeah, either custom stamp or hella hand work. A round rubber gasket would be better imo. Easier to replace too @Archer

With a smaller module it kinda does. A finer resolution between gears helps a ton

2 Likes

@ShutterShock

This is a bit harsh mate! Iā€™ve never handled a Boardnamics gear drive or seen any of their engineering drawings. This is my own design and is completely from scratch.

There are a lot of design differences, for instance my support bearing is inside the hub mount and Boardnamics seems to have their support bearing inside the casing itself. Also, their casing design is pretty different to mine, it appears to be thicker to accommodate the bearing and has a flange around the pinion gear section. In addition, they appear to use an o-ring shaft seal instead of a v-ring. I could go onā€¦

Just to elaborate on what @Venom121212 has already described, all electric skateboard gear drives design will look alike, without reinventing the wheel. Firstly, you have to design your two gears, you decide what gear ratios you need, what the maximum size your gears can be without causing ground clearance issues. I did start off with a module 2 gear drive design, then I realised I needed an 8-tooth pinion gear which, is way below the minimum recommended number of 17, so I switched to a module 1 gear design. Itā€™s not like Boardnamics has patent on module 1 gears or something.

In terms of the gear drive casing, its aways goanna look like snowman shape, if you want them to be as small as possible and conform to outline shape of the two meshing gears. MOON, Boardnamics, Trampa, 3D Servisas gear drives all look and function very similarly because of this. The only truly unique gear drive approaches that I can think of, would be to try and use internal gears, like this guy:

Iā€™ve only just joined this forum and so far everyone has been really supportive and helpful, even MOON who obviously has a conflict of interest with his own gear drive business. You are the only one who has brought negativity to this build diary, which find quite weird, I assume you may be tied in with BD as you have reviewed his drive. I started this gear drive journey because Iā€™m an engineer and I love to design and build my own stuff and learn new skills. Iā€™m not particularly fussed about the commercial aspect of this project, if people want to buy them, great! it will hep me fund new and exiting DIY projects, if no one is interested I might opensource the project.

16 Likes

Thanks buddy! Iā€™m going buy sheets of neoprene gasket and then use my girlfriends drag knife machine to cut them out. She uses it to cut out fabric for sewing projects and for cutting crafting card, itā€™s pretty cool! I did get a quote for die cutting the gaskets, but it doesnā€™t make sense to pay for the tooling until I am comfortable making fairly large batches of drives.

2 Likes

Exactly! Iā€™m going for purely function with this design, I didnā€™t want to make an unnecessary stylised casing. We will have to find out during testing, with regards to how quite they are. But as @Venom121212 said the smaller the module the quitter the gears should be, so this design should be quieter than module 2 gear drive designs.

1 Like

I donā€™t really mean to be particularly negative about it, just trying to figure out what the major benefits are

As for Boardnamics, I am a little bit biased since weā€™re friends irl, but mostly because the stuff just works well

I do wish you best of luck, I am quite blunt about things sometimes so sorry if I came off wrong. Iā€™ll be watching your progress

2 Likes

I was originally going to SLS 3D print the cover, which would of aloud me to design in a groove for a round standard rubber gasket to sit in. But I found out that SLS 3D printing price per unit doesnā€™t go down with increased order quantity, it actually ended up being cheaper to machine the cover out of aluminium, which really surprised me!

3 Likes

Ahaha I can be a bit blunt as well :sweat_smile: I am a bit defensive about this build as I have spent time designing it.

Thanks for the support, dude! I do appreciate it :smiley: Itā€™s is hard to gauge where people are coming from in a forum compared to discussing things face to face. I do encourage people to criticize my design, as it will help me improve it.

1 Like

I feel like SLS is still niche so the pricing is a little expensive :joy:

I wonder how well 3d printed gaskets would work with tpu. Iā€™ve done some of this in the past and they worked quite well

2 Likes

This can display corrosion, or tea staining over time. Not really a structural issue but when it happens it might look a bit shit.

Why not alloy? Also, stainless steel and aluminium donā€™t play that nicely together in terms of electrolytic / galvanic corrosion (when wet in contact) so thereā€™s some risk there also.

Why does the clamp need to be stainless steel?

8 Likes