EMTB gear drive design and build

With the grease port can we use gear oil and run these in an oil bath?

you could probably run oil if you use a gasket head sealant on the gear drive tub. imo grease is a better option, especially if you need to do maintenance

1 Like

Wellā€¦

So I think Iā€™m right in thinking gear oil is the way to go here.

yeah but i have a tendency to murder motors. and for two components spinning in a confined space grease with work fine. reason for oil baths is that a rotating item will catch and splash the oil into areas where grease and other lubricant would be hard to use (also when a high temperature change occurs, an engine for example)

2 Likes

Thanks mate, it does make maintaining the drives pretty simple. I recommend using a viscous lithium grease like Lucas Red ā€˜Nā€™ Tacky, I use a grease gun and just squirt a bit into the grease port every 200 miles or so and it keeps the gears running smoothly. I havenā€™t noticed any leakage, but Iā€™m not putting an excessive amount of grease in there.

Whilst the drives are pretty well sealed, I wouldnā€™t put oil in there it would make maintenance difficult. You would be better off adding a small about of viscous lithium grease via the port every now and then to keep them running smoothly.

1 Like

Why would you need to add grease if it never leaks out?

There is some dead space within the drive and eventually the grease will move away from the gear teeth. Every 1000 miles you would want to take apart the drive and clean out the old grease. The grease port is there so you donā€™t have to disassemble the drive to grease up the gears every time.

3 Likes

@Archer What pressure angle did you end up settling on?

So did this fall through? I see your storefront page is dead. Iā€™m interested in at least 1 if not 2 sets of these in the highest ratio; TBH Iā€™d prefer 6:1 as Iā€™m running 10" (or larger) tires, and Iā€™d pay $500 for a set if they included thrust bearings and provisions for magnetic rotary encoders on the ends of the motor shafts

2 functional prototypes were made, as far as i know both are still running, but sadly forum was hesitant in a group buy so it fell through.

1 Like

Dangā€¦ Sorry dude. Timing was such that others were coming out with similar designs around the same time as you as well.