eMTB Build | Tomiboi custom deck| BKB Zenith | Boardnamics AT gear-drives | A bunch of custom junk

I’m excited about this build that I’ve been working on. I’m testing out Boardnamics AT drives and the BKB Zenith v2. I’m also giving the Boardnamics motors a shot. Interestingly they came in Flipsky boxes :thinking:

The deck that I used is a tomiboi custom. I used the same mold and shape as my 39" AT integrated deck. It has parabolic, hourglass concavity and a touch of camber. The nose and tail are angled at 30 degree. I used 7 layers of Bamboo veneer ( 5 long-cut + 2 cross-cut). The board is sandwiched between two layers of fiberglass cloth, 8 oz on the bottom and 6 oz on top. I weigh 175 lb and this deck has a medium level of flex for me.

I really like making and riding Bamboo/fiberglass boards. They’re super strong and have really consistent longitudinal flex. By using different weights of fiberglass on the top and bottom I can manipulate the flex incrementally while giving the deck a durable protective layer. There are certainly fancier materials to make skateboards/longboards out of, but bamboo and fiberglass make a stellar ride.

I frit the top by applying epoxy topped with an excessive amount of glass frit. It looks like a sugar cookie. Then after the epoxy cures, I shake off the excess and apply another thick layer of epoxy to set the frit in place.

The bindings are an exciting part of the build. I’ve been thinking about a ratcheting open-toe binding for a while. I finally got around to designing one and so far I like the results. The basic 3D printed models feel really comfortable and sturdy. I’m looking at quotes for Multi-jet fusion prints made with glass filled nylon so that I can test these out with a more “production-level” prototype.

I printed up a box for the zenith and I made a custom heatsink for it. This was my first real try at working with aluminum on my table router. I ordered all of the right bits and I got some 1/4" aluminum sheet for the project. Things went well. The heatsink looks sharp and I didn’t ruin any bits :sweat_smile:

I’m using a multi-jet fusion nugPuck. This MJF shit is dope. The texture is perfect for remotes. It cost about $25 to print this one of these. You can find the files here tomiboi78/t-boi-nugPuck: Mini enclosure for Hoyt St. Puck (github.com)

Lastly, I maxed out my printer and made a custom battery box. It’s big enough for a 12s5p 21700 p42a pack. and it’s also easy to interchange. I matched the pattern on top of the battery box to the heatsink. Also, I added a loop-key with a panel-mount XT-90 that I found at duckbatterysystems.com :+1:

I’ve been riding this board quite a bit this week. I might be onto something with these bindings guys. They worked out really nicely. Made out of the right material, they could be legit.

The boardnamics set-up screams a little at high speeds, but not too bad. I like having stuff like this available in the states and the quality seems really good. So far I like them quite a bit. Speaking of having things in the states, I’m excited about the zenith. The price is right and I can get a new one in three days if it burns out. That is if BKB ever gets more in stock :roll_eyes: With a heatsink the Zenith is doing really well. It’s hot here and I’ve been pushing it. The performance has been great.

Well that’s it for this one. Happy riding and all that shit :metal: :hamburger:

20 Likes

Great job with your build! It looks very well put together.

I’m stoked to see what you figure out from testing the bindings more. Do you have a sense for what amount of force would cause them to release? Are you planning to use them more for stability/control or jumping? Maybe both? :slight_smile:

The only decision I have a hard time with is the free floating battery wire. I feel like I would trip over it, but I get that hiding it is a bit tricky. Maybe you could run it long the edge of the deck? That’s me projecting though.

I’m curious about the kind of range have you been getting so far.

Thanks man! I worked hard to make the ratcheting system robust on the bindings. The goal is to be able to use them for jumping. So far I’ve only used them for stabilization and they work well. I modeled the bindings using a 3D rendering of a pair Vans Sk8-hi’s (a personal fav). This along with some trial and error made them pretty ergonomic. I stuck some neoprene to them which made them fairly comfortable as well.

1 Like

The battery is 21ah so it should last a while, but I haven’t had a chance to do adequate range testing.

2 Likes

Great build all around man! Those bindings are a real winner. Whether you sell them or release the files, they will be very well received.

2 Likes

I’m getting quotes for injection molding. I’d like to make them with fiberglass-filled nylon. The quotes are reasonable.

2 Likes

you got some really nice “custom junk” oh wait that doesn’t sound right

1 Like

I love seeing all this custom work come together in a nice clean package, awesome work!

1 Like

This thread deserves a bump. Beautiful build @tomiboi - I love the black frit. Black and silver is so classic

2 Likes

That enclosure melted while I was riding on a hot day :joy:

1 Like