eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

This happened to me. I was using orangatang caguamas with kegal core on the direct drive.

However the wheels were old so the holes on the wheel itself were worn down resulting in some slop when the wheel turned on the adapter. It made a clicking sound when riding. As you can imagine all those micro slop vibrations would wear down the adapter quickly. I basically only got a week of riding before they snapped.

I recommend new wheels and using abec wheels instead, hasnt broken on me and there is no slop.

2 Likes

Glue them in with red loctite.

2 Likes

tech tips by k00k

Lube your motor bearings

clean off all the street mungā€¦ I take off my adapters and sometimes the motor nutā€¦ the nylock doesnā€™t engage on the eLofty axles and so I Loctite it and check itā€¦ but you donā€™t have to.

I lube one side at a timeā€¦ motor nut side and opposite hanger side and let it sitā€¦ I use motorcycle anti-fling chain waxā€¦

1. I have it. and
  2. I think itā€™s perfect, the propellent allows the lube to wick into the shielded bearings through capillarity actionā€¦ spritz some on the bearingsā€¦ let 'em sitā€¦ spritz again, clean up any remainingā€¦

flip the board over and do the other sideā€¦

even with cocktails and waiting it only takes 15 or so minutes and lets you check everything out and lube up the bearingsā€¦

roll in peace brothers

2 Likes

Does anyone have a trick for getting the kegel/abec adapters centered on the motor? Hereā€™s my lame procedure:

1. Eyeball it
  2. Tighten two bolts
  3. Spin it
  4. If thereā€™s throw, loosen the bolts and go back to 1

Then after about 10 iterations and a lot of frustration I manage to get to ā€œalmost no throw but not quiteā€.

2 Likes

I made a jigā€¦ fixture for centering the drives, on the axlesā€¦ the friction fit on these drives is terribleā€¦ but with a bit of effortā€¦ they roll onā€¦

1 Like

Is that a 3D printable? Would you put it to thingiverse? :pleading_face:

actually noā€¦ I made a fixture with L angle and an eyeboltā€¦ easy to seeā€¦ difficult to describeā€¦

the L angle holds the motorā€¦ the heim adjust the axleā€¦

Looks like boundmotor has a new model coming soonā€¦
Itā€™s ribbed for herā€¦

5 Likes

I dont see set screws on those cans in the pictures on their site. Do we think that the screws on the hanger side of the motor can is holding the can on?

I am sorely tempted by these.

1 Like

Let me get those RKP style lofty drives tho.

2 Likes

Booooo RKP direct drive. DKP for the win lol. First you want RPK then you start wanting reliability and next think you know you are buying TBDDā€™s! No thank you!

(/s :joy:)

6 Likes

Me too if BM drop another coupon code I will get 2 sets for a 4x4 build.

1 Like

available to buy right now!

1 Like

Lower kV and heatsink I hope they also added a thermistor because ignorence isnā€™t bliss. I suspected they cooked a few motors not having one. My 70kv (85) get toasty warm during a ride. Thermistors are ordered. I donā€™t see a gap in the sensor cable so looking good.

2 Likes

I have the 58kv version to 60kv is similar

60 would be spot on for 110 - 150mm next DD build I am going for Bergā€™s.

2 Likes

Thanks, so its actually 10 poles in VESC/METR? So Iā€™m actually faster and have more range than I thought? (14 poles) :smiley:
edit: its 20 poles and I already had it in the config :smiley: getting old :smiley:

1 Like

I thought for pole pair count you divided the number of magnets by 2? So 20 poles (magents) would equal 10 pole pairs; or am I totally off base here?. What do you have set in your VX2?

I havenā€™t set it up yet for my DD 4wd build but in Metr I set 20 poles :slight_smile: (somewhen somehow :D) If its pole pairs in VX2 then yes, it has to be 10.

1 Like

Anyone tested the new version of the bound motor drives?

2 Likes