eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

Pull the wheel and off and check if the axle is centered in the adapter. That’s the easiest thing to check… If it’s not centered it’s a bitch to center the motor on the axle…

While the wheel is off spin the motor can and see if it makes noise then.

Then take off the adapter and check the motor fixing nut… It’s a big ass 17mm nut make sure that is tight…

And get back with your findings and results… While you are in there

check and locktite every screw and nut you can find…

Could be bad bearing… Motor can not centered. Motor loose, any number of things…

I’ll check this later… I’m out of the country at the moment

4 Likes

the noise is not so bad without the adapter and wheels. however, it does not roll freely as with the hub motor. please take a look at my updated video with the wheels and without the wheels running with power on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ZteOEpJyM

Yes.
The black and red wires on the sensor connector must match. There is no problem if the other three wires do not match.

1 Like

thanks! i will plug those sensor wires in tonight. i’m told it will help with the noise issue as well

1 Like

If so, very minimally for DDs and definitely not when freewheeling. It’ll help with startup spinning noise on power on but freewheeling noise will not be solved by plugging in the sensors.

The sensors just calculates where the motor position is and to apply power to the right phases instead of just “guessing” until the phase syncs (ie motor is rolling at speed)

i just tried. the DD sensor wires, from Bound Motor, is much bigger than the female connection Meepo’s controller. sure i could splice the wires up to make it fit but i think running without sensos is fine for now.

as for the noise with wheels on. Bound Motor suggested i follow this photo:

from left to right, washer - bearing - is that spacer? bearing - washer - nut
before, i only had bearing - bearing - washer - nut.

Hi @noob,

Is there any noise after adding the bearing washer?

1 Like

i need to get the spacer and bearing washer. will update once i do. thanks!

Wait til the meepo owners get wind of this

I mean… its a decent esc…

what wheels and bearings are you using or recommend with the kegel adapter?

you can see from your video that your motor is not centered on your axle

Funny these guys are still available for sale but dead silent. Never fully addressed the bent axle problems or provided solutions IIRC.

7 Likes

Silent as in ‘I contacted enertion but they did’nt reply yet’?

1 Like

I’d take off the motor can to see what’s locking it up. While your in there clean and lock up the can to the end can.

I used high-strength, high-tempurature epoxy…it’s worked perfectly on the three motors that I’ve fixed.

Lockitite green… Stud and bearing mount should work…locktite red maybe…locktite blue failed.

are there any videos of how to take the cans apart? i see a bunch of hex screws on the outside with 1 large nut on the axle. should be easy and straight forward right? no special tools?

it’s pretty easy, but honestly, if you need to ask, centering the can on the axle may be above your paygrade

1 Like

Those metasurf have one thing I like : short motors!
The much too wide axles is the only thing I don’t like about the eloftys. (apart from their overall crappyness of course :joy:)

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

4 Likes

One man’s trash is another mans treasure… A year or so from now… There will be hundreds of eLofty motors on sale cheap as scrap… I’ll buy them all up…fisserate them and become the emperor of cheep direct-drives…

8 Likes