eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

I don’t “think” that would work… the Caliber trucks you posted are RKP trucks I believe… you need a TKP baseplate…

What I found out that works very well is run DKP (stock eLofty) trucks up front, and take out the middle king pin piece on the rear and it all fits together! Rear then ends up something like a 35 degree truck, so you’re running essentially 50/35 split angle trucks!

Super turny/carvy up front, stable and not speed wobbly in the rear.

I run drop thru on the front, and a 1/2" riser bottom mouthed on the rear to level things out!

I just need to fine tune the bushings and pivot cup and I’m set!

EDIT: added text

4 Likes

Yes, that TKP baseplate will work.

5 Likes

@ryansinatra, congratulations on completing your board. How does it ride? How does the direct drive feel?

only been on a short maiden voyage. TKP is super carvy but no wobble at high speed. I didnt check my max speed yet but that is next.

The drives are whisper quiet! so stealthy. torque is surprising and exciting.

3 Likes

Took this video a long time ago when I realized my 3D printed hub broke(has been strengthened since). But what’s interesting is that you can hear the birds in the background. So damn silent!

5 Likes

first of all, tighten and locktite every nut/bolt/and screw you can find on the motor(s) mine came completly lose and none were locktight. one motor came apart at the can a couple of days ago that was 1km old.

1 Like

This is what is currently happening to mine after only like 5-10 miles of riding.

What’s the best solution to that? Just tighten the nut without over tightening and a bit of loctite?

1 Like

This is not good. Report the problem to Kenna and get the replacement shaft shipped immediately.

How would a replacement shaft help? I’ve never taken apart direct drives. Would it be pretty easy to move the motors to a new shaft?

You don’t have to open the motors, just slide them out from the main shaft. @Winfly made a post about it.

1 Like

I did see his post yeah. I guess my question is what would be different between the replacement shaft and the one that I already have?

I don’t think it’s an issue you can solve with replacement axle. The motor will unscrew the nut that holds it in over time. Your best bet is to remove the motor and shim the gaps between the square key and the hanger. Then loctite the nut in very well. But don’t over tighten the nut. I added nylon and rubber washer on both sides so hopefully the motor doesn’t back the nut out again.

4 Likes

also check the nylock actually contacts the threads on the axle… the replacement axle i received recently is manufactured incorrectly and the nylock is ineffective… locktite is your friend!

Could someone provide the best place to get a set of these for individual unit and bulk pricing? I want a pair to try :stuck_out_tongue:

Are the current ones still problematic?

There’s a new vendor selling these. Was told they’re from the same manufacturer but that’s all I know.

@Esk8supply

2 Likes

@kenna11 is asking me to organize a groupbuy. I’ll be flying to Hong Kong for a month so I will be able to bring some back (US) as well.

8 Likes

I was actually in talks with them until I confused euros and gbp :sweat_smile: :sweat: :sob:

At 239 GBP, that’s around $300 not including shipping from overseas. That’s a fair price, especially over in EU but I’m located in the US.

I should be more specific and ask for shipping to US prices. I know there was a recent group buy for $267 shipping included and was hoping to see if I could either organize another GB or get a single unit.

4 Likes

Will you also be picking up decks and enclosure? Because… if you are, let me know please :hugs:

Definitely put me down for a set, maybe 2 :stuck_out_tongue:

I noticed today 2 of my DD bolts are gone. only done 10KM.