Electrify Expo 2024 Races

Ah, that makes sense. Though I’m much more likely to go if there’s a race rather than just an expo.

1 Like

I wouldn’t consider it stock, but forget about the srb.

How about an SKP or a Hoyt (which is definitely stock) going against an ownboard or a wowgo or an exway or a meepo (which let’s be fair - are the most common boards of the intended class audience). Completely unfair, and the stock class is supposed to be the beginner class. How are beginners going to have fun when an SKP or a Hoyt laps them in the “beginner” class. Or lets consider the intermediate class. If you put a pair of bushings into an exway flex and now it only qualifies into that class. It’s not gonna get any more fair… In my opinion the current class structure is just garbage and it’s not going to give new racers a friendly welcome into the sport.

3 Likes

At least they’re all bound by the same limitations of a consumer product but you’re right there needs to be a skilled based class system

3 Likes

EDIT: I’m not deleting this comment, but I’ll put a disclaimer on it that I regret writing it and I basically take it all back. I think it’s awesome that they’re doing esk8racing at all, and I fully support the race organizers doing whatever they think is best. Anyway, I’m sorry about being a salty bitch, and that sums it up. Cheers!

There are two problems here.

1. the current classifications of Stock, Modified, and Pro, are beyond idiotic. Like, changing bushings and adding grip tape puts you in a different class? That’s fucking stupid.

2. the only fair way to group people for races is skill based. Look at esk8con. There were dudes on exways bringing the heat in Pro and competing. Putting Novice riders in the same class as pro riders simply because they are riding similar boards is not fair competition.

We all argue endlessly on the forum about how to get more people stoked on esk8racing. THIS IS NOT THE WAY. If I go I’ll just get the shit kicked out of me by Jimmy and Poast. They are way too fast for me to have fun competing against. I want to compete against people of similar skill. Yeah we are racing on a different level, but it’s exciting af trying to defend or pass. This format completely ruins that experience.

2 Likes

This doesn’t happen. The right way is to group people into classes based on quali times, and that completely prevents this issue from happening.

At esk8con, there were plenty of people racing exways, acedecks, and evolves that put down faster lap times than people on hoyts and SKPs.

Grouping people by hardware capability simply makes no sense for where esk8 is at today.

2 Likes

cya folks in pro class

3 Likes

Yeah DIY like most of us racers is a weird auto-placement into pro.

True - Mario can whip ur (the figurative) ass on an exway just as well as on a stooge

That’s pretty much what EE has been, the PEV space has always been small

I’m curious too, since it’s sort of invite-only? You have to submit your info, and you hear NOTHING back until they accept you

I’m hoping to contact them and maybe get an interview, going to work on that this week.

I do think the classes need a little work but I would love to race in both stock and pro classes for the fun experience of it.

Same way I do, but there isn’t a lot of clarity.

This is definitely something to consider, and is where the wattage rating would come in. I think an on-site DYNO that you run your board on would be an ideal way to classify output wattage. This would make it more fair for china boards that far overrate their watts lol

Dang it, 50 per class per race is annoying. Maybe I’ll only do one then. It’s confusing because you have to register for each individually.

Another point of concern is the company behind the reality show @tuckjohn pointed this out when we were talking about it at esk8con.

From the research I did on them so far I didn’t see any kind of reality show like this that they’ve worked on. Mostly event promotion and stuff

2 Likes

Nah punish that by making them compete in their advertised wattage class lol

This thought also came to mind lol

Make the companies properly rate their boards

3 Likes

Everyone all up in arms about rules. Id just be happy someone’s organising the events at all :person_shrugging: we’re just nerds doing nerd things on nerd boards. Just have fun with it.

4 Likes

No Expo in Seattle this year? :smiling_face_with_tear:

there’s an expo, just no race

2 Likes

well that’s good at least… though a race would make it a lot less lame :frowning:

I really think they should at least reach out to Esk8Con and learn from them.

Anyway I at mentioned them in the esk8con post if people want to pile on. ShredLights on Instagram: "Checking in from ESK8 CON 2024 📍 Race qualifiers are heating up on day #2 heading into the finals tomorrow! Looking forward to a huge group ride out later tonight on the strip ⚡️ #ESK8 #ESK8CON"

4 Likes

There’s some backstory behind that, and the result is they likely won’t work together for this first series lol I talked to Joe about it

@Shadowfax I’m not sure that comment is going to get us what we want lmao

3 Likes

Sure maybe not work together but drop a line like a hey what format did y’all run yours and why.

2 Likes

EDIT: I’m not deleting this comment, but I’ll put a disclaimer on it that I regret writing it and I basically take it all back. I think it’s awesome that they’re doing esk8racing at all, and I fully support the race organizers doing whatever they think is best. Anyway, I’m sorry about being a salty bitch, and that sums it up. Cheers!

Electrify expo has shitty race classification rules, and the more people that bitch about it, the better.

They don’t need to work with esk8con. We’re just suggesting they use a similar approach to classification - quali time based / not board based.

They aren’t going to change things unless they have an overwhelming negative response.

6 Likes

Idk what you commented but lots of folks will specifically not do something if you ask them to in a way they consider rude.

Also , I know the guy running the expo races personally. I can forward feedback.

6 Likes

EDIT: fuckin a I was on a heater when i wrote the comments. cringe… I’m not deleting this comment, but I’ll put a disclaimer on it that I regret writing it and I basically take it all back. I think it’s awesome that they’re doing esk8racing at all, and I fully support the race organizers doing whatever they think is best. Anyway, I’m sorry about being a salty bitch, and that sums it up. Cheers!

Is “absolute garbage” too rude? :rofl:

@electrify_expo you need to adopt the qualification rules and classes from esk8con. Your current classification rules are absolute garbage. Putting everyone in pro just because they have DIY boards makes absolutely no sense

@ShutterShock I left them a nicer more explanative comment on their pinned insta post:

@electrify_expo will you guys consider adopting the qualification rules and classes from esk8con? The current classification rules put beginner riders at a huge disadvantage. Putting everyone in pro just because they have DIY boards is not a fair way to run a race. Riders should be grouped into sportsman / advanced / pro / based on quali times - not the board they are riding. If you put a beginner against pro riders simply because they both have DIY boards, you will not have competitive and fun racing.

4 Likes

11 Likes