Electrified Cube Hyde Pro Bicycle | Rusins' 1st ebike

This is a build thread for my first ebike. My goal for this build was to have an electric vehicle I could safely use for commuting during snowy winters here in Latvia. This bike doesn’t satisfy that goal unfortunately, but I learned a lot and will learn more, so keep reading if you’re interested :slight_smile:

I bought this bike 2nd-hand a year ago for 750€. It used to cost ~1400€ new, but has since fallen in price to around 1000€. Hyde Pro Urban Bike - Cube Bikes

What makes this bike special is that it uses a belt drive, which I really wanted because chains can get stuck, smear your clothes, need constant maintenance (I ride my bike mostly on rainy days), and are loud. This was an excellent choice – the bike uses an internally geared rear hub to switch gears (there’s no other way to switch gearing if you use a belt, unless you really think outside the box ), and the gear switching is nearly INSTANT. It’s so fun to ride around in a high gear, stop at a red light and drop down to a low gear and then take off faster than anyone else, and switch back higher right after.

Belt drive requires a bike frame that you can open up to route the belt through, but IMO it’s a huge improvement over chains, and definitely the future. I had my belt snap over winter – turns out whoever I bought the bike from had replaced the belt for one not meant for winter temperatures :man_facepalming: 100€ replacement later, I haven’t had an issue since. (Well, I did have my gear hub sometimes skip teeth, but turns out my gear shifter line wasn’t tensioned properly. Read the manual, adjusted, no longer an issue.)

Oh, also this bike came with pretty fat tires (3.75"), and to my surprise this doesn’t make the bike noticeably slower or harder to ride. In fact, the opposite – it eats up bumps and uneven terrain so well I can go fast on this bike no matter the ground surface :smiley:

Here’s a video of me riding on a cobblestone road in Riga that’s usually hell on anything else

As fun as the bike was, getting sweaty from cruising at 30km/h wasn’t ideal. Especially if you have a train to catch or there’s nasty headwind. :sweat: My plan was to electrify the bike by getting a front hub motor, and keeping the rear as is. I was hoping this would give me:

• 2 wheel drive for winter
  • Great acceleration from pedaling in low gear, with a high top speed thanks to the motor
  • Low maintenance, because hub motor
  • Easy upgrade experience

My smallest esk8 uses a 750W hub motor, and I wanted something slightly more powerful, so I got a 1500W ebike hub kit from aliexpress. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004066087556.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.46.36a71802qKmCGL

Turns out that ebike hub motors are severely under-rated (or maybe appropriately rated for long distance continuous riding :man_shrugging: ) but the 1500W hub motor that arrived is not only way heavier than I was expecting (like a solid 4-6kg), but also way more powerful than I expected :laughing:

With a 12s battery and a 29" tire, I get a loaded top speed of 60km/h, and way too much acceleration for a front wheel drive – I lose traction if I push it to the max, no matter the speed :sweat_smile:

I’m getting ahead of myself here. Step no. 2 was installing the kit. I knew I wouldn’t like the included twist throttle, so I purchased a nice thumb throttle instead, like rentable scooters have:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005288026353.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.41.36a71802qKmCGL

I’m very pleased with this throttle, I give it two thumbs up :+1: :+1: It was plug-and-play with the included ESC with my hub kit.

I was expecting the included ESC to be crap (like how the rentable escooters are jittery), but it’s surprisingly fine! Sure, it’s really large compared to a vesc, but it comes with a screen you can attach to your handle bars to see your speed and battery level :slight_smile:

The largest downside to the ESC is that it has no brakes! The included brake levers are meant to replace your existing brake levers with cables, and they just send a signal to the ESC to cut power :rofl: One of them was so bad it was sending the signal even when open, so the ESC just wouldn’t work with it connected lol. My bike uses hydraulic brakes anyway, so I couldn’t use them. I also didn’t try the pedal assist parts because I have no idea how they’re supposed to work.

Speaking of brakes, here’s another downside to the large hub motor I bought – my fork is not wide enough to accomodate both the hub, and a disk brake :joy: :see_no_evil: So I only have rear brakes for now, which isn’t ideal… I will buy an electronic brake lever and switch to Vesc to fix this issue later on.

One thing I had forgotten to buy was a torque arm for the hub motor.

Most bike frames aren’t meant for a lot of torque on the very end of the fork arms, so the torque arm is supposed to shift that load further up the fork so that the lever effect would lessen the force. Since I didn’t have one I decided to go easy on my bike, but after a single accidental burn-out and subsequent regaining of traction, my front wheel jumped out of the fork and bent the shit out of it :sweat_smile:

I put the fork of the bike in a vice and bent them back straight lol

All of the readily available torque arms looked way too weak for the power of my hub, so I set out to design my own part for this purpose. I decided to use the threaded M5 holes visible on the fork, and designed a laser-cut piece in CAD for the job.

rasejums.pdf (78.4 KB)
torque-arm.dxf (33.0 KB)
torque-arm-cnc.dxf (23.7 KB)

I first checked if it would fit with a 3d-print by a friend:

I’m making the files available here if anyone else wants to use them for this bike, but if I were to redo this I would slightly decrease the width of the hub motor hole. I ordered these parts from xometry.eu out of 6mm thick 6082 aluminum in black (don’t know shit about materials but that’s what Sabre Dynamics uses for his motor mounts so I knew it’d be safe lol), and the hole came out to 10.2mm, which of course resulted in the hub motor having play. I assembled the mounts with some nickel strip on the sides, but I’m not sure if that will hold long-term.

Annoyingly, my bike fork has a weird lip around where the nuts usually go, which with this new 14mm axle is impossible to find a washer to go around. So I had to drill holes in some washers and then angle-grind them to the correct shape :man_facepalming:

Final assembly looks something like this:

The kit came with a hang-on pouch for the ESC, and I just hung a small backpack over the frame that’s housing my 12s4p P42A flexipack battery :smile_cat:

I had to remove my front mud guard until I can drill some holes in the torque arms to re-attach it. On the rear mudguard I have a go-pro claw mount and a shredlight holder :slight_smile:

That’s it for now! Currently getting my rear brakes replaced because they were leaking and ruined the disk (god I fucking hate hydraulic brakes they’re so hard to service), and once I research how to use two ADC input methods with vesc I will order a brake lever and switch to a vesc so that I have front regen braking.

I’m currently broke, so I can’t do much more, but the long-term plan is to replace the hub motor with a much smaller and lighter one, and transfer this hub to a new bike frame but in the rear, where it can actually get enough traction to be used to its full potential. The front wheel drive works really bad in wet conditions, so I expect it to be useless once winter comes. Also I might buy a Megan so that I can log my rides and see my speed on the vesc based system. Also also I want to build a small battery inside of a water bottle for a stealth look. The backpack not only looks ridiculous, but it gets in the way of pedaling and is starting to tear :sweat_smile:

19 Likes

Nice work, has a really cool retro look to it. Also, belt drive bike is cool

1 Like

Man I’ve been mentally making build plans for almost exactly this setup! I’m also enamoured with belt drive bikes, geared hubs, and a hub motor on a city bike.

But oh boi as soon as I read 1500W I gasped, got such a giggle when you realised ebikes don’t fuck around with their power ratings. My not-gonna-happen build was aiming for 250-500W. I didn’t know bikes with geared hubs were that readily available though, I only saw rohloff sets which are like $1000 for just the hub. I’d probably prefer a more casual upright riding position and a rear shelf though, I’m 100% just a boring grocery getter kinda guy not a sports cyclist

My hub is direct drive, because I didn’t want any wearing parts other than bearings. That’s also part of the reason I went with such a powerful one…

I really hate that you can’t get just the hub by itself for any cheaper than a whole kit costs. I also hate that the motor manufacturer isn’t advertised. In esk8 who made your motor matters a lot, but I guess for ebikes no one cares??? :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Nice!!!

I bought my bike on your belt drive recommendation and couldn’t be happier with it! I bought all the stuff to electrify it with a mid drive motor, made a battery and got a charger… then decided not to electrify it because i like the bike so much as it is :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Keen to see what the future holds for this build!!!

3 Likes

Yeah I think not electrifying it is the right decision. I’ve noticed that I hardly ever pedal while riding my bike, so I think keeping the mechanical drivetrain isn’t even necessary :laughing:

Probably going to use a chain bike frame to put this motor into.

2 Likes

I will say though – having an ebike is super duper practical, and really nice for longer trips. I think it’s the future of PEVs, and could provide enough value for the money for mass adoption.

4 Likes

Yep, i wanna pick up a hardtail mtb, a 3 speed igh and just use a beefy chain on that with my mid drive kit. I have been toying with the idea of just selling all the stuff I have, but I really want the ebike. Especially with the cost of diesel skyrocketing!

1 Like

Yeah sorry my bike vocab isn’t great, by geared hub I meant the enclosed gear system for the belt drive in the rear hub, not the hub motor on the front. Even on a push bike I’d love that belt + gear hub setup

1 Like

After years of sitting in my parts pile, I finally mounted my 12V 36W LED light to something! :smiley:

Lowkey feel like I’m blinding pedestrians, but it feels like maybe 1200 lumens, and has a pretty nice spread. I’m just happy I don’t have to keep moving my SL-1000 on and off. Need to find a cool light in the rear as well to replace the SL-300 now.

3 Likes

As you can see, I replaced the bags because the blue backpack finally broke. I think I want a 12s2p P42A battery for this bike, because I seem to never run out of range with the current 4P pack. I want to build the battery into a water bottle so that it would look discrete, and so that I can take it with me indoors during winter to charge / keep out of the cold.

Anyone know of any large enough water bottles for such a thing?

1 Like

There’s a company that make pre-built ebikes around that battery bottle idea, Gtech. Maybe you can buy a housing built for it?

I think this one is 200Wh, probably 10s2p 18650

Wtf, that bike is very close to the type of ebike I would have been trying to make a business around

1 Like

Yeah that plus mudguards and a shelf would be very much what I’d like

This is the case now for many years in the nls. Friggin ebikes everywhere, even the kids going to school.

I bought a 12V rear light off aliexpress so that I wouldn’t have to keep taking my SL-300 off and on.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001650945864.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.23.4f861802bc7Pdo

Pretty cheap, but I hot-glued it to a go-pro clip so that it can live on my rear mudguard where the shredlight used to be.

I also got really fed up with the light-switch I was using to turn my 12V buck on and off (it kept accidentally going off and on), so I bought this very nice metal handle-bar switch:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006031968917.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.29.4f861802bc7Pdo

I have it wired so that the first on-off switch toggles the 12V buck. Red rear light is always on if the buck is on, and then the 1-off-2 toggle switch currently turns the super bright front light on. I plan on wiring an additional white ring light as the 2nd option, so that I still have some front light I can use that doesn’t blind pedestrians on the sidewalk or car drivers in the mirror in front of me :sweat_smile:

The rear light is equivalent to the SL-300 shredlight on the 2nd brightness setting (1st one was too bright anyway I think), and has good side visibility as well :slight_smile:

This bike has been pretty decent in winter. The front wheel drive is very deadly in snowy conditions (have already wiped out twice lol; you can’t steer if you lose traction in the front), but it does actually work as 2wd for more traction if you’re careful! :smiley:

I do low-key wish I had gone rear-wheel drive, because then I could try drifting with this thing :laughing:

Btw, this is how I avoid melting muddy snow dripping on my apartment floor :sweat_smile:

Unfortunately though, after leaving my bike outside in ~ -8C weather, the throttle broke! :scream:

I guess I’ll try to drill a screw through it as a temporary solution. Maybe I need to find a metal throttle, but I really liked how this one felt :confused: (Although it still was pretty jerky to control. Not sure if that’s due to vibrations in handlebars being inevitable, or if it’s the chinese ESC)

Random pics

:man_facepalming: :oncoming_automobile: :coffee:

Also, I can’t wait to get front brakes back. About a month ago just from it being a wet day I had a 15m breaking distance that led to my bike sliding out sideways and then me sliding for 5 meters more. The people on the sidewalk were amused :sweat_smile: Same problem as my small board – I go way too fast on a vehicle that cannot be stopped in time…

Oh, I also got the bike nearly stolen once! I left it outside an alcohol store from 11pm to 1am, and someone broke my U-lock! I guess the thief got stopped by someone, because it took me 5 seconds to finish the job and free my bike. Close one!

I since bought a heavy duty chain lock from Amazon, which is rated ART 4 (which is an EU lock safety standard, apparently better than whatever the US rating scale is):

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B077FSC35C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

1 Like

it seams like a good idea but the main fun is wheelies