Electrical interference of wires – dos and don'ts

Asking a legit question, which will hopefully turn into a learning resource.

I’m stuck without a push to start / antispark switch for a while, so I was thinking of using a loop key. Because I don’t want to make any extra holes in my integrated deck, I was wondering if it would be alright to route the loop key wires through a tunnel riser, right next to the motor phase wires.

My intuition tells me that this scenario should be fine, because while it’s running I’ll have current going to and from the loop key both ways, so this should eliminate any electromagnetic fields caused by the current in the wires. However, what if I only had 1 wire going next to the phase wires, and coming back somewhere else? Should builders with unusual component layouts be concerned about not letting their battery wires be right next to the phase wires? Discuss!

P.S. We need more post categories.

4 Likes

Cable shielding? Pretty sure you could use a cable jacket made for just this like so?

3 Likes

Suggest what is needed here

https://forum.esk8.news/c/site-feedback

1 Like

Working off intuition here, but I’d think the problem is more power wires next to signal wires. You should be fine with battery wires next to phase wires (but again, intuition not fact).

Of more concern is the length of battery wires. If long enough, you’d need additional capacitors. Again figuring out the actual values needed is like dark magic to me.

3 Likes

Ferrite rings are helpful for shielding RFI afaik

1 Like

Interesting. Same scenario for me ^^

But I even didn’t think about electro interference… I will follow that!
I was at 1st more concern about the length of my general (-) that will make a loop until under the rear riser and go back to the VECSs just next to the batteries.

1 Like

Nice deck! Isn’t carbon a natural shield against interferences?

1 Like