Electric Snowboard! 🏂

Im not so sure, @b264 Brian, this seems like right up your alley. Ive heard you say that with proper technique, a motor can survive quite a bit of snow. Basically the whole motr gets dunked in a sort of epoxy coating. Is that right?

I just picked the middle wheel since it was most visible. My point is merely that the treads as they appear, are simply flat on the inside, no teeth engaged with the idlers. It looks like all 3 rollers are idlers. basically, if i were to apply torque to any of the idlers/rollers , it would just spin, but the tread itself would only be driven by friction, which may work in the dry on land, but in snow, itll just cause a lot of slipping

absolutely! Shame i live in socal, if I do build it out Ill have to sell it to somehwere that actually gets snow

2 Likes

I got the solution for ya
20191122_094903
Blue is is a 3d printed wall on either side. White is the 3d printing pulleys to turn the tracks. These could have HTD tooth pulleys on them to be driven as well. You would need some good belt tensioning.

Oh I forgot belts are bad in the snow. Swap that out with #25 chain

come and live with us during the winter season!

1 Like

I made this concept last year:

10 Likes

Chainsaw cock knows no boundaries

2 Likes

@Fredrikhems Yes.

@Brenternet yes

Maybe add chain sprockets to the hubs - this kind of thing looks like it might work

1 Like

I hope they don’t use a chain breaker and pop every pin out. I bet you could buy tons of just the links. Save a lot of effort.

I wouldn’t recommend hub motors for anything, unless Hummie built them, and even then, only for use as intended.

Maybe on an ebike friction drive, an esk8 hub motor might be perfect, bot not for much else

2 Likes

What if someone made a pulley style sleeve for your motor can?

Idea is you bolt the motor can to an enclosed tread system and the spinning motor can becomes the pulley for the treads.

Side question, why do our belts snap on snow but snowmobile treads just look like giant belts to me and don’t snap?

3 Likes

Snowmobile tracks are either actually chain or just a different rubber

Rubber is only slightly less ambiguous than ‘plastic’

5 Likes

Worth a look :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes