Electric Micro Mini bike

Hello all it’s been a while since I’ve done a post or participated in the forum but I’ve accumulated enough parts to make a 2 wheeler, well an absolute unit of a 2 wheeler…

so far I have
2x 3500W e-scooter motors (72v)
2x flypsky 75100
2x dual piston disk brake
1X thumb throttle( most likely swift to a twist throttle)
1X front fork shocks from a scooter( currently don’t think I’ll use them)
the frame is an absolute unit

it’s like… TINY but god do I love it for some reason, hopefully it’ll be as fun to ride around than it looks.
I’ll have to make some modification to the fork in order to fit the front wheel and/or try to fit the scooter forks, also make new brackets to fit the back wheel and brakes.

now I might have a slight problem with the battery, I got some SPIM08HP from BH cause I figured they where cheap and would be able to fit in the frame. Problem is my math didn’t math-up and a 20S2p wont fit if I let the back wheel where it is supposed to be… I could make 2 10s2p or 2 20s1p packs to fit in and out of the frame(would a single 20s1p pack (supposedly 8AH) be enough to at least do 25-30km :thinking:) or push the back wheel to fit the whole thing

16 Likes

Yooo welcome back!

5 Likes

not really back into esk8 but for sure wanna share this build with you all ! took quite a while to get to it as I was also saving for something even bigger that I’ve wanted for so long

bigger project

originally wanted some 1980’s F250/350 untill I found this 1988 Ford ranger, wanna ride it so so so bad but gotta get it to a good stage before I do that

2 Likes

thanks for sharing the build

1 Like

So far so good the back wheel is set up, working on the front fork. Has to widen it to be able to fit the wheel and I’m gonna ditch the suspension for now.

3 Likes

It’s all welded up, will work on the battery later today and try to do the wireing too

8 Likes

Lil update on the micro mini I’ve got it running and mostly set up ! had to ditch the 20s to go for 18S and shit is tight as fuck honestly don’t know how the heck I’m gonna make a box for it, might even have to make a new one with 2170’s problem for future me I guess…

also ordered a seat and new disc brakes as the ones on it are some what warped :melting_face: hopefully will have it running this weekend :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Omg I am tripping you guys, this thing is a lil beast i chickenned out at 50 ish km/h as it’s not the most stable thing. (Legally speaking I shouldn’t go past 25km/h and 500w but we’re past that lol)

Steering is somewhat janky( yay brass bushings and big bolt) but other than that it’s as expected. Everything seem to be working just fine so far on the 4 ish km around the block i’ve done tonight to test it out. The regen braking is pretty much perfect for braking on it’s own but mechanical for safety of course.

3 Likes

Got any completed pics? 50kmh seems plenty on that, I’m more of a torque/g forces person myself for most cases anyways. How’d you hook up regen, just to the brake switch?

1 Like

it’s not yet completed but it’s ridable used it to go to work and it’s a blast but having some issues with the battery. The torque is actually fairly good considering it has tiny wheels and motors I could probably push it even more but doubt the flipshit 75100 could handle it. For the regen I hooked both cables to make a single one, one end to 3.3v and the other one to ADC2 and ADC1 is used for the throttle.

I added a bracket to hold the seat better

for now I’m thinking about changing the battery cause the battery makes it wayyyy too heavy and it’s really big so 20s 5p p42a ? :thinking: would be awesome to be able to have a built in charger too tbh

2 Likes

You have a 20s5p in there now? Yeah that’s a good amount of torque. I don’t get how they get power rating for tiny hubs so high when the motorcycle hubs are similar in power if not less in some cases when I was shopping around.

What’s the frame you used?

2 Likes

not yet right now it has a 18s2p made from spim08hp which is heavy and big.

yeah I have no clue either, those are claimed to be 3500w but can easily push 6000w without overheating I’m sure I could push it slightly more but I don’t want to burn down the vesc lol.

it’s a RCF micro mini with +6 inch on the handle bar, price in USD is good but in CAD kind of expensive if you add up the shipping, conversion rate and import tax

when it’ll be 99.9% finished my boss offered to powder coat it for free only if it’s in hot pink which would be an antitheft for sure lmao, but before that I need a new battery and honestly don’t know if I want some suspension or not time will tell

1 Like

Free powder coat would be nice lol. Cool, so pouch cells? I did a Lifepo4 build on a bike recently with prismatics. Didn’t know about that website for frames. Is it easy to add suspension to that one? Depending on the ESC; like having a more moped specific one, have support for the alarms with remotes for like $10. The alarm and remotes that came with my bike supported the new controller plug and play surprisingly and the ESC has a wheel movement sensor. You’d need a 12v system installed though.

1 Like

it’s not really a frame to make an ebike hence why I had to mod it so much just to fit the wheels and sooned or later box for the electronic/batt. for the suspension I guess I could do a motorcycle front fork style fork with more mods to the frame, I’ve got some conical bearings so bushings would be yeeted. But fab wise it’s slightly above my skills.

that’s something I want to add tho so I could use a moped like esc but I’d rather have some VESC, honestly the ZESC looks like a good option

1 Like

Yeah it’s tough to find good frames.The stuff with minimal fab work required is what I go for. It’s so much work just putting all of it together.

VESC software is of course super nice but I haven’t had a problem working with any of the chinese controllers other than the engrish. Like they typoed Light with Right once and that is really confusing with turn signals.

1 Like

I would love to do more fab work but I don’t really have a home work space so it’s pretty hard, even at work the workshop space isn’t really adequate yet.

I’m sure the chinesse controllers learned a thing or 2 with VESC lol they prob stole some ideas

Annnnd it’s gone, going to work today in a beautiful 10°C was the day it was gonna die. Motor locked up I stopped on a dime without falling checked the bms app nothing seemed wrong volt diff was under 0.010 okay ish for shitty spim08hp cells so I turn it back on and POP one of the vesc dies also killing the other in the process.

Worst part is I’m like 2km away from work and it’s such a bitch to pull/push but thanks to my work buddy I just have to wait for him :saluting_face:

I guess the upgrade will comme sooner than expected yay

Lol, i blew the motor on my build as well. I was going 110 ish for like 3min and it melted one of the phases. also hoping my controller is ok. That sucks if you weren’t pushing it just out of nowhere.

1 Like

:woozy_face: did it just start smoking and stop or did it lock up must be scary when going that fast.

I was kinda pushing it but not that hard, going full speed for like a km with slowing down when passing pedestrians and bicyclist.

I’ll wait for the end of winter to do a v2 with hopefully a 20s5 or 6p p42a IF the size works out/fit for the VESC actually spintend seems to be the better option for me would allow me to have 12v 3A which would be pretty perfect for brake lights and a head light

btw don’t you have a 20s5p from an old pit bike build ?

Fortunately it didn’t fully lock but you could say the regen started to finally work. There’s no way it wasn’t smoking but it was all contained in the hub. When I opened it later the horrible smell came out.

I personally wouldn’t rely on the internal 12v line and get a separate box for the 12v converter to avoid breaking something in the Spintend they’re like less than $5.

I used some 3d software to check battery fitment which really helped

I do have a 20s6P on the razor but it’s still part of the build I don’t want to make it unusable but it looks like it could fit?