Electric go kart

I know this topic doesn’t really fit on this forum, but I feel like the people here would still know a decent amount about it. So, my friend and I are currently working on building an electric go kart/drift cart. I’ve been doing a lot of research on what motors and batteries to use. I’ve seen those amazon/chinese motors that come with the motor controller for like $150-$200. I don’t know too much about those motors. Does anyone here have any experience or suggestions with larger brushless motors and where to look for them? I would really prefer to try and keep it vesc powered just because I feel like that would give me more features. I would also possibly like to use 2 motors so it’s full rear wheel drive without using a diff or anything like that. So I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has anything to offer for this post.

Off topic, but was there someone in the forum at Akron University in Ohio? I saw someone with a diy board and I was curious if he’s on this forum.

2 Likes

You’ll get more support at Endless Sphere as there are plenty of Go Kart projects there.

For motor controller, definitely go with VESC 6. Trampa has high voltage ones that are proven. They are pricey, but it’s worth it given it’s going into a vehicle.

Batteries, people stick with li-ions. Lots of good info here on battery packs. You’ll want to stick around.

For motors, you’ll definitely want large, not sure how large as it depends on the size of the kart - Alien Power Systems makes some pretty large stuff. In this old video, the person used a clutch mechanism to avoid burning out the motor and controller. Something like that is recommended, esp. at the weight over a skateboard.

Gearing and such also depends on weigh and a bunch of factors.

3 Likes

Idk a guy on here made a good VESC( ZESC) and it look like the esc’s you can find on motorcycles for example (but smaller for sure) you could run it with dual motors with traction control (or not, in a race would that be considered cheating? lol) (well it’s cheaper for sure)

1 Like

Sure, the ZESC could be fine - would recommend something more established IMO. But for Go Karts, it might benefit with higher voltages than 13S (looks like the ZESC7 isn’t available at the moment?).

I think traction control for racing would refer with something else as typically for VESC traction control is something else (pretty much synchronizes the motors if I recalled).

2 Likes

I didn’t feel like making a new thread so I’m taking this one.

Is this a dumb idea?

Use this

With some light fabrication to get these

To work with the hoverboard go kart thing with a big ol battery.

Seems like it would be a fun and cheap go kart build

2 Likes

I’m curious to see what is going on with your build after a year. I would love the opportunity to build a big go cart battery for someone.

2 Likes