Efoil and Jetsurf builds

damn.
Now I want one.

3 Likes

Same :rofl: Less then a regular 2wd Esk8 would be my guess :hushed:

1 Like

I can see it now. One motor will not be enough. 20 mph will not be enough. I will need a dual drive with water cooled ESC!!!

4 Likes

Shame that the leash/tether is so restrictive. In those videos you see plenty of examples where the front arm would happily go further away for a more natural balance in the turns but it is constrained by that tether. That kind of takes the “surf” away from the esurf!

That, and a heavy ass that makes it not really suitable for jumps. Considering this, you might as well go for the foil option, which will have a nicer feeling on mild chop, and something like 3 times the range.

4 Likes

Well, I’ve had all the parts to make a jet drive and only now had time to do it. These parts have been laying around for 2+ years.

Only tested in the tub, so far. Just need a surfboard or similar. Trying not to spend too much money. :roll_eyes:

Hopefully the video works.

3 Likes

maybe you’re interested in:

I was planning a build until I came across the Waydoo Flyer One. You could definitely build one cheaper, but not by much. It wouldn’t be nearly as good and the waterproofing headache is one I’m happy to avoid.

I’m riding these things a couple of times a week currently and while they still have a few small teething problems, it’s a quality platform, especially at that price (€5500).

If anyone’s interested in a test ride (Amsterdam, NL), let me know.

3 Likes

@Jansen ^^^

1 Like

You can find the gears for surfboard or efoil here:https://www.gd-hgl.com/collections/efoil-products

1 Like

Bump… I got the chance to ride one today. My buddy invited me to Lake Mead to wakesurf and do dumb stuff… A guy on the docks let us rip his Lift foil around and HOLY CRAP was it fun. I looked at the price of a Lift after that and well, time to look into DIY options :joy:

7 Likes

Even DIY options are going to run two to ten times the price of DIY esk8 LoL.zz

5 Likes

I have a unique opportunity to get to test one out, but given I could make one I kinda want to order the powertrain first then make a rough prototype to see what he thinks.

I know one of the two people in my city that has one.

2 Likes

Are lakes or oceans a lot better, or are very large rivers (like the Mississippi at the Missouri) a lot of fun too?

2 Likes

My guess would be lakes are best, but I bet you could do it on the mississippi if you wanted.

Next summer I’ll definitely ask for the demo, so I’m gonna try to make a prototype foil before then.

4 Likes

I think Lakes, that’s where I tried one at least. An ocean requires a lot more maintenance I was told. After every ride you have to fully flush the system of salt water.

Rivers could be awesome if the are deep, especially if they flow in one direction. Manual foil down one way and then use the electric part as a lift back to the top

2 Likes

you were told correctly.

Soaking an electronic/mechanical device in saltwater is just about the dumbest thing you can do to it. A single drop of saltwater will kill bearings, batteries and esc’s way faster than you think.

also, the ocean is rough and will require more skill to stay on the board. (crap, now I want to make one for the ocean)

stop bumping this thread. you’re making me think seriously about this.

4 Likes

I could be wrong, but it seems like efoils in contrast to esk8 are legal in most places, including Germany for example. However, that may also be since these things are fairly new. I hope though that’s not the case and I can hop on one soon without riding like a thief and fear of getting caught.

2 Likes

there are almost certainly marine laws governing even the smallest marine craft. For example, in US waters, stuff like proper life jackets, lights and other safety gear. Speed limits and other “rules of the road” apply for all craft.

I don’t think you would have to register the craft, but that will depend on local enforcement. Technically in US, if it’s powered it needs to be registered, but I promise you they will laugh hard when you try to register a surfboard :joy:

even if you make them do it anyway

3 Likes

Sounds like when I tried to get liability insurance for esk8.

I might as well been a 4-headed camel that was speaking proper British English and discussing quantum physics with a box of worms. The worms had zero clue.

8 Likes

Efoils have to be registered in Germany and can be registered, as far as I know; electric skateboards, on the other hand, have to be registered but cannot be registered. And if you do not register your eskate board you are fined for not having registered it. Makes perfect sense, no?

5 Likes