Dye-hard guide on wheels (How to dye wheels)

Beautiful! Glad they worked out for you finally.

2 Likes

Just looked through Amazon.de and every Rit Dye More product seems to be shipped from the US. What did you peep in the EU do?

btw. awesome writeup and thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences ! :smiley:

2 Likes

I used ebay

1 Like

I miss the old UK :sleepy:

2 Likes

I used this stuff:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/aw/d/B072JV3LST?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I’m happy with the results, and not sure if the blotchy inconsistencies are related to the dye or that I did not clean the hubs good enough in prep.

8 Likes

@hummieee :sunglasses:

18 Likes

Bro, is it just me who have seen weird things going on with dyed wheels?
Sorry for chiming in this way, but I have seen them wheels in really bad conditions after a few rides, and my small brain blames it on the dye :joy: :joy:
Looks good btw, good job and a nice color though :hugs:

2 Likes

RIT synthetic dye worked amazing on cloud wheels. Just mix half a bottle(4oz) into a gallon of water and boil very lightly for around 40 minutes to get the color you like. Do not bring to heavy full boil, just get a little bubble and then back off the heat.

(tropical teal, super pink, daffodil yellow, tangerine)

6 Likes

This is on transparent clouds?

3 Likes

A little blotchy as well for me, but not too bad.

About 12mins just below boiling with vinegar for the dark one. This was my first test and too long/dark.

Next try, 8mins @ 120C water temp with acetone on the 4 lighter ones.

2 Likes

Did you double the amount of dye requested? And did you use any soap with it?

2 Likes

No soap. I used about 3oz of this. Would soap have helped?

1 Like

Yeah, the back of that bottle calls for it iirc

3 Likes

Ah, I assumed that was more of a recommendation for fabric. I didn’t find this thread till now. I found some online that used acetone, so I gave it a try.

3 Likes

Depending on your batch of MBS fivestars (not confirmed with other hubs or if this is an isolated case ) it might be possible that they will not accept your dye properly.

MBS has changed its formula in the past year or so (no specific time mentioned)

I have a set of fivestars that i have bought in February 2020 which so far are not accepting dye the way they should.

Could this be a user error? Maybe. I’ve sent the hubs to someone that knows how to dye, i also believe this thread is no stranger to him. So im not leaning towards it being a user error.

4 Likes

You might have to get synthetic it has that extra juice unless you’re already using it
I have another secret but it’s not recommended for wheels more motocross plastic parts
@cfelzien what did you use for teds five stars
@TheRef :arrow_up:

1 Like

Have to ask him. I didn’t do it. I know they sat in the cooker for 18 hours.

1 Like

I am guessing not but is there a way to dye the synthetic rubber that the ONSRA wheels are made of?

They’re black, how would you dye black a different color lol

1 Like

amazing question.

If a lighter color was released maybe but I am sure it would not be very good of a color shift.

1 Like