Duck Battery Systems 🦆

1 Like

Cant promise a money clip. But my team is currently prototyping a new Duck Battery Systems Pedestrian-Startler Whistle™️

6 Likes

tell me its called the Duck Call for short

8 Likes

DM for DrunkenMobster? Eh, I dont like slapping my name on stuff in that way. Plus, I wish I had picked a different username here instead of using my gamertag from my teen years :rofl:

The 5.5mm bullet model will be called MR99, i think.

2 Likes

:shushing_face:

2 Likes

Alright folks, new design is printed and tested. The bullet fitment is pretty good, but precise sizing still needs work. And, as is evident, I need to look at different printing strategies.

But its coming along!

9 Likes

Lemme ask a question

Does plastic housing stands soldering?

And what plastic is used if it is?

1 Like

If we could make a standard connector like what you designed that would be great. Someone can make a pretty penny selling these to builders on here.

1 Like

Do you think it would be possible to get a bit more protrusion for the smaller bullets on the soldering side?

1 Like

ABS does not. Not sure about anything else

1 Like

These test models are made of PLA+, which has a heat deflection temperature of 56°C (132.8°F), which is gonna get really melty before a good solder joint could be made. MR and XT connectors from Amass are made of glass filled Nylon, and even that can easily melt if proper soldering technique is not observed

I have not landed on what type of plastic will be used for production models, right now I’m still working out final geometries.

Yep I noticed the same thing when testing these, and have already made that change :grin:

Thats the plan, my man :wink:

3 Likes

I agree, and what helps me is having the male and female plugs connected together while soldering, it keeps the pins straight & aligned, even if it gets melty

5 Likes

I have a piece of wood with a few different connectors epoxied to it. Like a universal stand of sorts

4 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up, as this will definitely be necessary for using this MR69. Ill be sure to include that in the product information when I get to that point.

1 Like

It also means you’d be better off having a few more than you’re needing laying around. With Amass — that are sold in bags of ten pair et cetera — that doesn’t seem to be an issue. But I would consider selling them in minimum quantities of more than one or two pair, specifically for that reason.

If you buy two pair, it’s more difficult to do things like that, than if you buy a bag of ten pair. You’ve always got some singles laying around to assist in soldering. Five or seven pair might be an even better choice :crazy_face:

3 Likes

what about resin printing these? There are types of resin that are heat resistant. Also u can get better tolerances for fitment of these connectors.

1 Like

Have any suggestions? I’ve actually been looking again for some that actually does what it says. I’ve tried two of the highly recommended stuff and it seems more brittle than the stock type resins.

One of them was this https://www.amazon.com/IFUN-Printer-Strength-Printing-Photopolymer/dp/B07TZQR4BX/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=heat+resistant+resin+3d+printer&qid=1602048186&sprefix=heat+resistant+resin&sr=8-4

The other was this https://www.amazon.com/Sculpt-1kg-Resolution-Resistance-Printers/dp/B07M8J8PCX/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=heat+resistant+resin+3d+printer&qid=1602048294&sprefix=heat+resistant+resin&sr=8-3

Would be awesome to find some that actually holds up.

1 Like

Not particularly. I just got a FDM printer. Maybe some of the SLA/ DLP printer boys on here can help?

Formlabs has some expensive heat resisstant resin though: https://formlabs.com/store/materials/high-temp-resin/

1 Like

Definitely agree here. Its always a royal pain in the ass trying to solder on my last male XT90 when I dont have a female lying around to plug it into.

That said, I’m still no where near being able to figure out how much these will cost. Its really going to depend on how much time it takes me to assemble each one. If I cant get the price on these down to single digits per pair, then I really doubt a bag of 5 or 7 pairs is going to sell very well if it is more than $50. I would love to get there, but we will see.

I have a resin printer that the Robot very generously foisted upon me. I have yet to actually make it work though. Thoon.

That $200 a liter is pretty cost prohibitive.

I switched to a 0.25mm nozzle on my prusa and I am able to get much better resolution on these now (at the cost of print time). Because of that I redesigned them again trying to see how small I can get the connector while still keeping enough distance between the pins.

This is the result:

8 Likes

DO THIS. NO, DO IT.

6 Likes