Dual VESC setup help

For the love of (Insert your holy God in here) i cannot set my dual VESC up.

So for the last 1 1/2 hours im trying to set my dual 4.12 vesc up.
Does anybody have a guide for that because all tutorials i find are either old or for FOC.

I configured each VESC on its own.
Or do i have to set them up while they are connected via can and swap the usb cable once one is connected?

Lets assume the VESCS are brand new and not configured.
The Master vesc uses the UART port for the remote and the slave the uart port for the Metr pro.
I can’t get both motors to spin at the same time.

I even think that i swapped which vesc is the master and slave.
If the USB cable is in my original Master and its connected via can, i still change values for the original slave.

(the one with the tape is my original Master.)

1 Like

After you set up each motor with can disconnected, set up each input/remote. Do the master vesc first then when done switch over to slave and set the input for that as slave. Then disconnect everything and plug in the can cable and power your board on. Should be working.

2 Likes

I had some serious bullshi* issues with the VESC programmer itself…for some reason, it wouldn’t configure my setup nor write it properly to communicate over canbus as a master/slave dual esc setup. I then dug deep for the ackmaniac programmer, fixed all my issues. Maybe try that?

1 Like

Yes this is the best tool. I use it 99% of the time

1 Like

Use this. Also, I set up both of my motors separately. Then, I set up my master vesc as a master/slave setup. (should be an option checkbox saying you’re configuring your master first over a canbus connection). I then disconnected, turned off the battery, connected both esc with canbus cable, turned battery on, then plugged slave vesc into the usb port, programmed it by selecting it as the slave. Presto.

2 Likes

So as the input i just use UART on both vescs? (remember, uart renote on master and metr on slave)

Also why do i configure the slave vesc when the usb is connected to the master and its connected via can?

How do i identify the master?

2 Likes

Depends on the remote you are using but as @brooksie said there is a choice when setting up the input as to whether or not you are using a single vesc or duel master and another for the slave. You decide which vesc you want as the master

If you are using a regular remote most likely ppm

I use the vx1 from flipsky

Thats the thing…I don’t get asked if i’m setting up one or 2 vescs

Are you using the wizard? Maybe take a video of how you are doing everything

1 Like

Yes. either setup motor foc, other motor or Input are the options. And i use other motor for General configuration and technically don’t have to use input because i use a uart remote.

1 Like

@b264 any idea?

One of the menus has “esc id” make one “0” (master) and the other “1” (slave)

1 Like

done. Which option do i choose with “App to use”? Both vescs use their uart port.
For configuration the master uses a ppm remote but will switch to uart once done.

I don’t really use CANBUS. Adds possible failure points.

1 Like

Yeah same here i just started using split ppm and i love it

i still haven’t got it to run. I always get only one motor to spin.

1 Like

Idk man ive never used UART just ppm pwm

1 Like

F*ck me. I got it to work but don’t ask me how. Other problem. 1 Motor (slave Motor) is spinning way faster compared to the master (Remote is connected to Master) but only at lower speeds.

https://youtu.be/unBuYSKy0c4

1 Like