Dual motor setup - intermittent single motor only acceleration

Not sure if you resolved this, but I had a similar issue with my FSESC 6.6 dual from Flipsky. But really the issue was a bad connection in one of my phase wires (bullet connector came unsoldered). If you can reproduce the behavior on the bench by jiggling the phase wires, then there you go.

2 Likes

I had similar issue with a chinese ESC in the past.
It turns out the canbus cable/connector was bad. jiggling that on the bench re-produced the issue

2 Likes

Thanks all for the tips. I’ll review the cables and everything I can think off next week and I’ll let you guys know…

1 Like

Just use a loopkey as a switch.

1 Like

Respectfully disagree. I am pushing 76A per side on my flipsky dual vesc 6.6 on firmware 3.65 without any problems. I have 3 different boards all running 3.65 and I have never had a single issue. I would never be satisfied with a hub driven motor at 10a, or any hub driven setup, ever. Gear drives or belt drives are the best way to get gobs of torque. That’s like comparing a Honda Civic to a brand new Lamborghini.

1 Like

So you have 2 or 3 flipsky boards that work, congrats, most people have 30% failure rate within the first mile. They use a heavy copper flow and it causes a lot of cold solder joints on DRVs and MCUs.

1 Like

I have the same intermittent cab connection issues. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it will see the can connected vesc but can’t read or write. Multiple reconnection attempts seem to be my only solution atm

1 Like

Allow me to disagree with this part. My first build was a couple of hub motors with all terrain 105 mm wheels and ESC from diyeboard.com. Later I added two more to the front, so four hub motors and two dual ESCs in total, making 2000 W. The power is fantastic, it goes up everywhere and the standstill startup is very good, although I’m running them unsensored.

Actually, the 4000 W I have in my MTB setup doesn’t feel like double of the power, although still very powerful.

1 Like

You must have tons of excellent pavement to ride near you. I’m out on the east coast of the USA and the roads around here are like something out of mad max. 6" pneumatic tires are my setup of choice lately with Avio MKII gear drives. Running dual 6374 190kv motors rated at 3250w each in sensored mode. It’s super smooth and insanely quiet and never leaves me wanting more.

My MTB setup will soon be pushing 9100w (dual 6396 motors) with 9" tires and a 5:1 gear ratio, up from 6376 motors with a 5.9:1 gear ratio. I’ve since sold off both of my hub motor driven boards. I’ve tried several, all of them left me disappointed.

That’s correct, I use hub motors just for asphalt of course.

Just starting with MTB and loving it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe you should checkout the Go-Foc SV6? Go-FOC SV6 and Go-FOC SV4 New shelves! ------Maker-X - It is supposedly rated for 100 amps and a pair should run 50 a piece without issues. They also have a dual model, I think its the retro, if you get it with their cooling case they bump the rating to 100 amps. Not enough people on the forum have tested the EB Maker stuff yet, but I may roll the dice. Early reports are encouraging and they appear to be well designed and solidly built. Personally I would go for singles to make it safer and easier to replace if you fry one. Or if you can wait a few months the v6 Neo Boxes look extremely promising to me. The Foc Box formula has legendary reliability + V6 reliability should = a reliable little ESC. RE: the Maytechs - be careful if you plan to use UART for your controller with those - some peeps have had issues, but I cannot remember the details. This speed controller drought will hopefully be over soon!

1 Like

Exactly… I also think this is a weird situation which shouldn’t last much longer.

Update: I reviewed the cables, tried new sensored motors, experimented with several versions of VESC FW and tried both PPM and UART remote connections methods. Also tried to connect the receiver only after motor setup wizard, as recommended by Flipsky.

I cannot pinpoint exactly what it is, but sometimes after motor wizard the problem is almost gone and almost unnoticeable. Right now, after the last try, the behavior is pretty satisfactory, although perhaps not perfect.

I think that UART yields better results than PPM and that connecting the receiver after motor wizard doesn’t work at all, in my case. It’s definitely not due to buggy firmware, as I got back to latest 4.1 and it is not inferior to 3.66. Also, only could get better results when running the motor wizard with the pulleys free (no belts attached to the wheels).

So I couldn’t reach any solid conclusion… on the other hand I was able to get it to a point where it’s working good, although the result of the configuration seems a bit random to me…

Unfortunately, another two problems… first, when I was connecting motor cables to the FSVESC, it turned on to never being off again. Power button cable was disconnected at the time and after I connected it again it doesn’t seem to do anything, the VESC is always on :confused:

The other one is that I noticed a couple of cut outs when going uphill.

So, this is my update, hope it helps other people as well.

If you are experiencing intermittent CAN BUS performance, check your CAN cable, it has to be a twisted pair, failing to do so for a differential signal is self-defeating. Shielded is a plus.

Thanks, but I think it does not apply here has it is a Dual VESC from Flipsky.

1 Like

Hi new here so not exactly sure where to put this message

Pls can someone point me in the right direction. I have wired up my new dual vesc 6.6 which had both blue & green lights working. I was setting up vesc on vesc tool & now on the usb 1 side of vesc green light is not working & now will not connect to computer. Can & how can I get this working again.

I have Flypsky 6.6 Dual and have a bit different issue. So, the problem that I have is that when I reach the top speed, one of my motors stops pulling… As soon as I dial my remote a bit less then full power, the other motor kicks in again… I can really feel it when it engages and disengages…

It’s a bit scary…

You might want to start your own thread.

Another update, I received another FSVESC to try…

It’s hard to believe but it’s doing the same thing. Now I tried with a couple of hub motors. FSVESC, cables, connectors, remote, is all new, nothing left from the previous test.

First a video with the motors controlled by a generic chinese ESC where it works flawlessly:

Now the video with the FSVESC I just received:

The FSVESC kinda works but very poorly. Is this product just a hopeless case?..

Flipsky vesc are garbage. I have had 4 fail on me. The dual are the worst.

1 Like