DUAL FSESC6.6 BIG vs DUAL FSESC6.6 PLUS?

I have recently bought 2 of the Fsesc 6.6 dual plus.
10s5p on dual 6384s on 107s.
10s6p on dual 6384s on six shooters.
I run relatively mild settings. low battery max at 40 amps 70 amps on motors.
They have been good so far. Very smooth control. But I don’t have even 100 miles on either one.

4 Likes

The lesson I see here is, don’t buy duals unless it’s a Unity or you’re really really constrained for space. It’s not cheaper because you have a decent chance of rebuying escs.

1 Like

What is your experience with the 6.0 Maytech 200A VESC? Why are you selling? I’m considering using it for the speedboard (single motor, single VESC).

1 Like

They have issues with the PPM mode of controller communication, but I was ‘selling’ them because my build fell through.

I honestly have no experience, but users like @Andy87 and others have said it’s heatsinking abilities are impressive, but they don’t make up for the flaws.

Pro tip: if you’re going to buy them through @hyperion1 aka Cory Leblanc, don’t. He’s a scammer and a fraud.

and no I won’t ‘let it go’ :man_shrugging:t2::joy:

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I just bought one through Maytech, I guess I’ll be the guinea pig. I’ll be attempting to push 148A through a 80100 130 kV motor on the next speedboard prototype. We’ll see how it does.

3 Likes

Using PPM remotes could lead to resets / injury. Just be safe :man_shrugging:t2:

Judging as the issues only surface when using a PPM remote, a UART remote like the OSRR or even something akin to the flipsky VX1/2 could work dandy.

Also MKIII VESC6s from Trampa/ Vedder are a ncie alternative at admittedly a higher pricepoint. On the flipside, Trampa has great CS compared to Maytech :man_shrugging:

1 Like

@speedboard did your prototype/race speed board focbox die? Weren’t you running ridiculous current through that thing?

3 Likes

It never died, but it has been throttling current in mildly extreme hill climbing situations. It’s actually done amazingly well, considering how often I’ve overheated it. I was running it at 120A motor during the race, and it just couldn’t handle it. I’ve been running it at 85A recently and it’s still throttling under steep hill climb situations. I estimate its continuous current output at ~60A. That just isn’t enough to give me what I’m looking for. Plus, looks like starting up manufacturing of them again isn’t going to happen, with the current state of affairs with Enertion.

I’d like to run at least 80A continuous for hill climbing, etc. I’ll also be testing out a 80100 130 kV motor in the next round of prototypes. That motor can handle 148A, so I’d love a speed controller that can push that current. That would really bring the performance to a whole different level. Torque output would be 257% higher than with the 6380 170 kV motor in the current prototype.

2 Likes

I think a UART remote is most likely. I’ve got a Hoyt puck, VX1 & VX2 to test out.

Have you considered an rc esc? They have cooling fans, handle higher amps, are programmable, and are more reliable for the people racing eskates

2 Likes

Yes, especially for race speedboards. I need to test them out to see what throttle response & regenerative braking feels like. It’s just so smooth with a VESC.

2 Likes

@Sn4Pz @speedboard it’s the other way around. Easy ppm remotes seem to not cause bigger issues. More precise remotes which work over uart do cause issues. One of the issues would be that you accelerate while braking. That’s no fun…
They also have an nrf modul installed, so if you want to run a remote which has a nrf receiver you need to somehow deactivate the build in one first.

3 Likes

The SUPERFOC 6.8 Maytech also has the increasing speed whilst trying to brake problem over UART. That almost got me a couple times before they burned out.

1 Like

@itsrow Can you check if the duty cycle swap over to values like 108%?
You can see that in the live data when you hit the trigger on full acceleration on the bench.
If it does, it’s probably exact the same issue and very likely caused by the same thing. one of the components they use or the layout design of the maytech vesc6 in general.

2 Likes

They both died to the BAT+ shorting against a resistor in the wiring path. Honestly couldn’t pay me to go on Maytech VESCs at this point.

1 Like

My vesc 6.6 still work fine via ppm but I’m honestly disappointed about maytech.
I gave them all information including trouble shooting videos etc. and they just didn’t do anything.
Can fully understand you.

2 Likes

Same with me, showed them pictures of the damage from the wire shorting aswell as the exact place the silicone insulation was cut. They’re just another faceless corporation and I thought they were more than that for some reason.

1 Like

Did you end you getting the makerX escs? If so how’ve they been treating you?

yeah, very nice.
running on 12s foc no problem
60a/-20a battery (total)
and 40a/-60a motors (each)

2 Likes

Thats pretty good, no DRV errors from FOC yet?