Dual FocBox Case Heatsink Plate

@3DServisas @Kug3lis @MauveMaverick

Or anyone else have any pictures of how it looks mounted on an enclosure/board?

Also, what size screws do the other rim screw holes use?

1 Like

Anyone? @mmaner maybe? ^

Eboosted has examples of this mounted to an enclosure see https://www.eboardsperu.com/product/subsonic-talon-37/

In regards to the mounting screws…

1 Like

… They are M3.

2 Likes

Thanks! Do you know the length?

Never mind, just realized that you don’t use them :man_facepalming:

Yes, too big to fit my enclosure. For more accurate measurements they are all posted on the 3ds website, which I should have checked :joy:

1 Like

Blanc_lady_pointing_anim

E: Woops

1 Like

Sorry, completely failed to follow the thread of our conversation there, they are 8mm long.

1 Like

I do not, I had one but gave it to a buddy.

1 Like

I was always told that the enclosure is not meant to bear the weight of the things inside it (and I think this is really logical that way). Then what is the point to have the heatsink mounted in the enclosure if it make the esc (focbox in this case) upside down to the deck and hard to stick to the heatsink (given the focbox is attached to the deck) ? Having everything but the esc attached to the deck should be pretty strange and uneasy when opened.

Does a lot of people attached everything to the enclosure and not to the deck in the DIY world ? I know Evolve does it but they suck, so…

3 Likes

I have a 12S6P, VESCs with heatsink attached to the enclosure. Enclosure is attached to the board. Why would you attach it other way? Are you afraid of your enclosure breaking/falling off? Then make a sturdier enclosure. Mine looks banged up and so far it didn’t plan to leave the board in 2000KM. M5 screws with fender washers are holding it tho. Seal provides soft mounting.

3 Likes

well, yes, but…
Many people have to take what is offered, sometimes it’s a plastic enclosure.

here is something similar I put together when I couldn’t get one of these heat sinks. I did debate wether to put stuff in the enclosure, as opposed to the deck, upsidedown.

After having both, I believe deck mounted guts to be better, but the heat sink required stuff to be mounted the enclosure

2 Likes

As a guy who has VESC cables routed through the enclosure using grommet holes, I stay with enclosure mounting. :smiley:

2 Likes

Ok, both versions make sense depending on people and stuff I guess.

Let’s have a quick poll :slight_smile: (my first, hope it will work !)

• “Stuff attached to the deck”
  • “Stuff attached to the enclosure”

0 voters

1 Like

I think there are unique cases (like my build which has segmented enclosures and a flexy deck) where enclosure mounting is necessary.

I also think that if the enclosure is made by Alan (@eboosted) then you’re fine to do either. I had to literally sit down and throw my weight down ontop my enclosure to get the threads to line up and the enclosure didn’t make a groan, crack, or anything. It’s really robust. (I found little vice things after that whole debacle, don’t hate :weary:)

With that said, I can see why people might choose not to enclosure mount though. (abs enclosures, flat and stiff decks, personal preference, etc)

1 Like

I’m considering putting a heatsink through the lid on the HyperBeast and have the escapes upside down, I noticed I don’t stand where it would be :yum:

on the topic of enclosure or deck mounted, I build the battery into the enclosure usually

4 Likes

I prefer stuff mounted to the deck. I get very annoyed by all the dangling wire when opening it up otherwise.

But really it depends.

1 Like

I would mount to the deck if it has a cutout like the hummie

2 Likes

Another small point regarding enclosure mounting, I keep it as the “electronics box”. Basically I can take off the enclosure and the whole deck is separated from the electronics. :slight_smile:

This topic is about the heatsinks tho! :smiley: