Dr. E 127mm TPU Wheels 3D Print Kit for Electric Skateboards(esk8)!

A TPU tire that goes on a Evolve-style two piece rim may be an interesting future project. There are many people out there with similar rim systems that may be sick of getting flats.

If you wanted a larger rim system to be more optimal, it would be best to use a wider rim like the one from Tomiboi. Hubba-hubs

The other alternative is to make your own.

1 Like

I want to know about high G turns too. I love carving hard. If a tire can’t turn pretty hard, it is not very valuable to me.

2 Likes

The concern there would be it getting a good seat on the hub to ensure the hub doesn’t just spin in the tire. IIRC this is an issue for some of the solid urethane sleeves for pneumatic hubs, and would likely be an even more difficult issue on a non solid TPU tire sleeve.

I am thinking a TPU tire-specific rim would probably be the best idea.

1 Like

I designed these wheels more for comfortable riding and long commutes, I actually don’t recommend it for racing competitions for example. But that will be for the future. These are wheels are perfect for those of you who want comfortable wheels that can go over bad roads and have great traction on light offroad conditions. I personally need this type of wheel and why I developed it that way.

But I am going to develop wheels eventually using softer material, it will cost a ton more so I wanted to develop wheels with filaments that are affordable such as 95a tpu which is only 27 bucks a kg and much cheaper in bulk.

My latest commute:

3 Likes

How difficult would it be to make a version with no tread or just the no sideways tread?

2 Likes

Pretty easy just remove treads in fusion360. Literally 1 second job.

1 Like

I am watching your video right now. The noise is not too bad. At least people can hear you coming.

1 Like

Yeah these wheels are loud, I think from the treads.

1 Like

How’s the braking performance? Do you skid much?

Braking is really good, tiny skid only stopping hard from top speed.

1 Like

few donuts and 95A TPU tires get hot/soft they pop right outta the cores :point_up_2:

that’s the problem :thinking: HEAT DISSIPATION

compressing/stretching infill while rolling creates so much heat even rims melt:

Partial infill vs solid :point_up_2:

No choice but use solid ones now:

Massive tires disperse heat preventing melting… even with 83A TPE :point_up_2: like these

but hey, if partial infill tires work on cold/temperate climate regions… Woot, woot :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: that’s something already

Let’s melt them real quick :sunglasses:

XiaoYing_Video_1697208705775

eSun 95A TPU vs iWonder Cloudwheel :point_up_2:

HAHA, I also don’t brake without powersliding :sunglasses: urethane pops out of the cores but doing it switch pop it back in :sweat_smile:

which is something printed wheels need even professional ones lack sometimes… the spoked core:

Yeah, sometimes superglue is more important than even skate tool :rofl:

Bruv, why bother with urethane when you can skate bare metal :metal: 62/22 bearings loctite’d over the 608’s nose ones to match :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl: not just money, but time… softer filament slower prints. 83A on a bowden at 35mm/sec gotta count days instead of hours :rofl:

1 Like

At first I thought you were quoting my post where I melted plastic pulleys. :rofl: Didn’t expect it to be about my old hub motors. The sleeves are still glue together/on but I haven’t used them in a while because bumpy dying hub motors are very uncomfortable.

Melted pulleys look like this btw :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m still riding a set of he 127mm for commuting. They have been holding up ok. They were never true to begin with.

Anyone else riding these wheels? Anyone heard from Dr. E?

2 Likes

Sorry those are NOT MY wheels, my wheels come with ABS cores and tpu tires and they dont fall apart like those. Please start your own thread for YOUR OWN wheels, instead of putting it here. Thank you so muchy. :wink:

4 Likes

Hello Dr. E,
I like to say that i love the fact you made 3d printed wheels a reality.
Even “if” there is trouble somehow left to solve, i totally love your work and wish you lots of succes with whatever invention and discovery you make.
Im still one of those who are sceptical, but thats more a good sign for you to proof us wrong.
So keep up inventing and keep up the good work.

3 Likes

This is so inspiring.
Maybe a shoelace with superglue and soda powder supa dupa blastic bottle chips, and grains of chewing gum and stuff like that.
Beautiful ladys nylons would be my first try. Ohhh Yes.

1 Like

Edit: whats keeping me sleepless all night long is the miracle that you were able to waste the motor Pu that much without breaking the truck and/or motor mounting itself. I can feel the amount of vibration of the board from over here.
No truck can withstand that forces for very long.

1 Like

Wheels going strong after almost a year yes, I just haven’t found enough time to keep developing but they work great and sturdy as is with abs cores and tpu tires.

Latest ride:

3 Likes