Does anyone else spend way more time working on the board than actually riding it?

I started building my first board in 2017 and from the very beginning just when I thought finished fixing a problem I then find a new problem with the board. If not that then it’s the waiting for parts to arrive. Enertion set me back a few months waiting for the Unity. As I type this post my board is not functional as there’s an issue with MakerX VESC which will take a few weeks to sort out replacement parts with the vendor . I’m still waiting for my lofty direct drives that I ordered from the group buy months ago.

Sometimes I think I would have been better off getting a prebuilt board which as it’s turning out would be way cheaper than all the money I’ve already spent on DIY parts and tools. It’s not even fun for me at this point, just so frustrating.

End rant.

7 Likes

I made my first board using only readily available parts.

4 Likes

This is something you can only do if it’s for fun. If you use these as transportation, keeping them in-service is absolutely critical.

I have these rules I follow:

• Never take apart a skate that works. Ever. Ever ever. Build another one if you have to. Or wait until it breaks.
  • Only one skate taken apart on the bench at a time. Finish fixing it – or part it out – before taking another one apart.

These rules really help me avoid what you’ve described, allow me to get to work, and to live my life.

10 Likes

Everyone is different, there are “builders” and “riders,” sometimes both. I actually enjoy solving problems and working on my board, probably even more then riding. So for you, a pre-built would probably be a better option

1 Like

Lofty DD taking months to ship? Damn. I’m going with lofty dd too for simplicity. Now less part to fail. Don’t have to worry about locktite and all that. Reason I do DIY is because I’m an electrical engineer and I like making things. :sweat_smile:

Spend more than I imagined…

1 Like

Yeah I probably do.
That’s mainly because I outcast all @b264 rules.
I take apart my boards, change components, break components, replace components, test out beta components, modify beta components and when I think I’m happy with the performance on one board I will find something else I don’t like on one of the other boards.
If I one day at the point that I’m happy with all my boards, I probably will tell myself that I need a new board and all that stuff starts from the beginning.

5 Likes

In the beginning, until my board is just the way I like it yes.
There is a lot more tinkering with it than riding it.
However when I finally, after lots of experimenting, I have it how I want it, then I only work on it for maintenance.

5 Likes