DIY Perks just released a video going over the building of batteries. It seems very good and informative to me, eager to hear others opinions.

Been following DIY Perks for a while now, and he recently just dropped this.
I haven’t been following battery building here very actively, but this does seem to line up with what I’ve noticed being said.

His presentation is always really high quality, but I’m curious what more experienced builders here might have to add.

8 Likes

Been following him for a while too. Pretty good video, he pointed out some of the things that I mentioned in my battery video as well.

Also can we just take a moment to think about the fact that he made a 12s8p battery bank out of p42a’s lmao - also, APEX BMS, kinda neat lol

That’s crazy

As for the quality, he didn’t use fishpaper rings and his welds look scary but it’s not a kweld and the lighting accentuates the color differences, but it’s not in a board so not the end of the world

His series connections are kind of weird too

With all the finishing work, it seems like a pretty solid box though, very cool, I like it.

10 Likes

Yeah this is very cool. Super happy about that, as you can imagine

8 Likes

Haha yeah his audience is pretty large, although I kind of doubt many people will actually build this specific product, it’s pretty cool that he gave that exposure

I would assume its faster for him to order it from you than LLT

2 Likes

I would have expected him to use Tesla cells because it’s a much catchier thumbnail, but also given he’s so very much limited by the power electronics rather than the output of the cells it makes much more sense to aim for capacity than powerful stuff like a p42a

Edit: as usual take my stuff with a pinch of salt. Also he doesn’t really seem like he’s super focused on piggybacking on brands or trends for clicks, but y’know gotta get the money somehow

3 Likes

It’s nice that he actually made it look pretty, something that could even fit in an HGTV video.

1 Like

What about the welds was bad?
What’s an example of nice proper welding?

Also, he mentioned the thicker nickel strip. Is that a current bottle neck here?
I’d think the welds would be the bottleneck.

Well to me, it looked like there were certainly some that blew through the nickel strip, and they were all a bit hot.

Nice proper welding - look at @Skyart packs

I didn’t see what thickness strip he used, but usually, the welds are not the restriction. It looked to me like 0.2x10mm. I think someone mentioned on the forum here that it’s about 5a of current transfer per weld spot. So if he did four weld spots per cell, which is two welds essentially, you’d have 20a of transfer.

He did 6-8 on most so that’s definitely not a bottleneck.

1 Like

even if the welds were bad there are so many cells it would be fine haha.,

1 Like

Ya exactly, for this application its fine haha

1 Like

I made that observation as well lol

Pretty cool battery nonetheless with all the inverters, and he pointed out some good safety things.

2 Likes

So, something not letting everything cool down enough between welds, or too spicy of a weld setting?

Pretty much every project he has done are on point, modern looking, simplistic and not much of an eyesore

This but it’s probably normal with the spot welder he used it’s more a mix of time and current, lower current that what a kweld could use so it need a couple of seconds to have a proper weld

It can be a combination between too high of a welding setting and the condition of the probe tips

1 Like