DIY Independent suspension

Is anyone working on a ground-up DIY suspension system?

It feels like it shouldn’t be that big of a deal - design wise, but could probably use a real Mechanical Engineer to get all the angles, attachments and spring rates just right.

Cost wise I think it’ll be pretty expensive, but I’m hoping a one-off based on water-jet parts might be within range.

I realize the Endeavor and Baja’s are out there, but I don’t want to buy one.

There are a lot of people working on gearboxes, but I’ve not seen anyone (aside from Flexboards) doing suspensions?

3 Likes

both are extremely fragile anyways. I’d pay a good amount of money for individual truck suspension :person_shrugging:

Another reason why it would help to have a good Mechanical Engineer. I usually just try to over-engineer everything and hope for the best, but this might give me an excuse to learn stress analysis.

we have our own guy on the front lines here:

2 Likes

My board is not independent suspension but I’d be interested to see how it compares to Baja or Propel. Independent suspension on a skateboard is tricky because you need a completely different steering system as opposed to a more traditional channel or rkp truck. I wanted something stable at 40+mph that can still turn well so I went with leading and trailing suspension and my own truck design… Had some suspension quirks in the beginning but now that I understand it a little better it’s getting really good.

4 Likes