DIY Electric Skateboard Rack

Here’s a cheap DIY electric skateboard rack I build for about $125.

Parts:
1 6’ 1x12” poplar plank
12 shelving L brackets 10x12”
pipe insulation 12’
1/2” wood screws
door hinge for anchor to wall

16 Likes

We should have a thread for this, be curious to see how others approach storage. Cool collection.

1 Like

There is someone who has a thread already.

3 Likes

There are a ton of different solutions available for cheap these days too. Cheap if you hang/ mount the boards directly onto a wall since that doesn’t require purchasing wood.

Personally I used what is sold as guitar hangers from Amazon since I did not have a good location to store my board horizontally and the hangers let you store them vertically. I’ve also seem some people use guitar stands that sit on the floor but that is just a waste of floor space in my opinion.

1 Like

Roger.

1 Like

I like to hang them too if the space and structure supports it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to drill a bunch of holes into the wall.

2 Likes

For how many boards you have, the way you did it makes sense. I wouldn’t want to hang that many directly into dry wall that close together either. For one or two boards it makes sense to go directly into the wall though and save the lumber money for parts.

1 Like

The trouble starts when you limit yourself to one or two boards.

4 Likes

Stud finders are your friend. Or a magnet…

@BillGordon also works as a stud finder.

1 Like

Good quality dry wall anchors will have no issues holding up a 20 pound board. I used 4 anchors rated for 35 or 45 pounds and they never budged. The screws into the anchors did come a little loose but that isn’t unexpected on an apartment wall. :person_shrugging:

For some of the builds on here you might need that stud though due to them being way too heavy

1 Like

My Evo build (~25lb) eventually came crashing down in the middle of the night, and I was using 4x 50lb anchors. Decided to find the studs after that.

2 Likes

Did anything break?

1 Like

Assuming this was in response to me, and no, everything was fine. Just had to fix some gnarly holes in the wall.

The evo deck is a tank.

2 Likes

Could have swore i clicked reply to you, sorry if i did not. In all seriousness its a fear of mine. I have 2 boards hanging from a brace underneath the basment stairs. Probably about 60 ish, its through studs though i still worry. I have a subsonic hanging and i sweat everytime i put it back up.

Also forgot to mention poor instal of brace

1 Like

Yeah, I think if you’re in the studs you should be ok. My new ~30-35lb tomiboi build hangs from the same spot (in studs) and it seems fine. Although it does make me a bit nervous still haha.

2 Likes

If you used these tracks you can have more adjustments. might end up costing a bit more though

3 Likes

I did consider that system, but I was going for cheapest build possible. Great suggestion.

1 Like

One thread or many, this post inspired me to head to the container store after work, build a 4-board free-standing rack. They only sell white and gray (“platinum”) color stuff for their free-standing system, but white should look cool w/ my house + neutral re the boards. Parts will be $204.50 + maybe $15 worth of pipe insulator foam + tax, so call it $250 = double the price for essentially zero work. (Just assemble) A pair of “20in” (actually 18.5in long) brackets cost $22. To build higher, swapping out the 41in uprights for 83in adds $40 to the total cost. I’ve hung many hundreds of pounds from their wall hanging system, which uses less beefy uprights, trust this stuff. I notice that nearly none of it shows up used, save leftover parts they won’t take back (after you wait years :slight_smile: ) signaling to me that I’m not alone in loving this stuff.