DIY Battery Pack Guidance needed

@Fosterqc ahh okay. Now i know what i have to do tomorrow :smiley:

1 Like

I have literally 0 experience don’t listen to me

But it did sound like a possible way to do it

@deckoz clever, any reason for not just bending?

@deckoz but wouldn’t bended nickel strip be thinner than silicone wire?

What size nickel strip did you use?

1 Like

but on the p groups then?

Thank you, i’ll buy some extra silicone wire. :slight_smile:

Hmm tho my deck dont even flex. hmm

Yet another way I did it like this with a loop of flat tined braid. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. The community has not settled on a best method yet.

1 Like

Down side is all the thin copper strings that if not carful to manage could poke a hole and short some thing. Also has a habit of sucking the solder down it then it’s not flexible and creates stress points.

Down side of you method is silicon is easily split or solder lump taking all the pressure and poking thro or wearing thro to make a short or little bits of copper strands shorting some thing.

Down side to the Nickle strip is will it be flexing and brake

All of these things can be managed and overcome but it’s up to the pension to decide on the best method none of them are perfect and that’s why each are been used and us as a community are still split on the best method.

1 Like

Could do with a battery building wiki with all these methods listed with pros and cons.

2 Likes

On my last build with PCBs, I used fish paper on the ends and still covered each group with individual shrink wrap. It is extremely durable yet flexible.

image image

1 Like

Don’t use bent nickel strips to connect P-groups, they will brake overtime because of vibration and might cause a fire, use silicone wire instead to connect pgroups. And yes, use fish paper between pgroups and between them, always horizontally and verticaly

1 Like

Different orientation and layout will have different potential voltage so fish paper is required in difrent places

Green scribbles represent recommended minimum placement of fish paper

See how in the last one fishpaper was not suggested between group 5 and 6 this is because there’s no Potential voltage different there due to battery Orientation

2 Likes

I dont need to fish paper anything else for the p-groups for now right?

I used a dremel with a grind stone on it. Works perfectly.

Yea exactly what i did today :slight_smile:

1 Like

Before i put all the p-groups in series, does this seem right with all the balance cables? (black spots)

First negative
and the rest on every positive from each p-group

Its good practice I have learned to put the balance tab on the negative side of the same series connection. That way when you fold the tab over the side of the cell there is less chance of a short

Edit: obviously not possible on the last cell which needs to be pack positive

1 Like

@glyphiks i see, that makes sense :wink:
so like this instead

1 Like

Yeah mate, you got it :+1:

1 Like

This is gonna take some time… Got the boss custom spot welder

And its heating up like a maniac. 1 p group before its getting to 50 degrees celcius.