Discharge via BMS or Bypass BMS? [SRO]

Discharge bms can suck my dick.

Second bad stack as a result of a discharge bms just shitting itself for no reason. Anyone know what the bms is in the bioboards thorium? Its a big red thing.

#fuckdischargebms

4 Likes

Running your discharge through the BMS definitely adds an additional failure vector for the drive train.

When the choice is presented between higher risk to body or higher risk to battery, I’ll choose battery every time. Those are just money.

5 Likes

Same here, I know I can afford a new eskate even if the ones I have get incinerated and there is nothing to salvage, but I don’t know if I can afford getting hospitalized for a bad crash. I’d like a slow burn fuse with a 100% margin of tolerance but definitely no discharge BMS

2 Likes

I think its a 120A Daly BMS

Does it look like that?

4 Likes

Yes it looks very much like that

2 Likes

Interesting read,I’ve only ever built a pack for charge only and bypassed discharge bms and my second one was an enertion 10s3p which was bypassed,this will be my first build using one that was made for charge/discharge,at least it has a smart bms and app so I can keep an eye on cell v when pushing it to the limits!

Jut noticed this bms. Its the neptune one with Vesc compatibility but the prices are ridiculous.

1 Like

:eyes:

2 Likes

A distinct feature of Neptune is to allow user instantly between from off-road to on-road biking with a quick switch without their smartphone.

What does that mean? Increase/decrease discharge current limits?

…and is the VESC compatibility just a matter of it displaying VESC telemetry or is it more involved than that?

2 Likes

A friend will have DieBieMS produced.
He is geting right now a quote for 50, 100 and 250 units.

1 Like

@b264 , Do you recommend using a fuse on the discharge lead?

No, don’t do that. If the fuse blows you can’t brake anymore. Fuse the charge port, but let the pack die if that means you can still safely stop.

3 Likes

No. Fuse the charge port only.

I personally would rather the fireball under me still have brakes so I can stop and get off of it and not get run over by a car… …in the event of worst-case scenario.

If you value the skate hardware more than your body, then fuse the discharge… :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Second bypassing BMS for same reason , and just charge only, if your battery is made well and new cells should be fine.
I have no BMS and im still alive.

1 Like

…and your battery pack looks like a package of hot dogs :joy:

2 Likes

Can u charge through the furthest positive balance wire instead of the mains (the blue circle)? I’ll only do 3 amps?

Yeah, those wires are connected to the same place. As long as the balance wire is at least 24AWG and it doesn’t go through any 1A max JST-PH connectors, or through any other current bottleneck, it should be fine.

1 Like

Rated 2A but 1A is a good target number as it’s never good to run things at their rating.

1 Like

Nice catch, guess my memory was foggy :grin:

1 Like

@b264 Connecting the last positive balance wire to charge in the pic above with the blue circle produces a faulty reading showing the voltage .3 volts higher than the p-group really is. I take it off the charge and it drops back down immediately and shows even with the others. I now charge off the main red and shows normally.