Discharge through bms / why and why not?

Can we get an discussion going regarding this, I wanna hear your opinion and stories and maybe what bms’s can be trusted and what not
I currently have this one, I haven’t wired it up yet, it’s rated for 100 amps, should I wire it up for same port for discharging and charging or should I bypass it and use it only for charging?
https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com/product/14s-bluetooth-lithium-e-bike-battery-pcb-board-with-30a-constant-charge-and-discharge-current-2/

1 Like

I prefer that my board catches fire over loosing brakes because the BMS detected something wrong with the battery

6 Likes

I think that the ideal solution is to bypass discharge for the board but have your lights or something that is always on controlled by the BMS. That way if the BMS wants to cut power, it will be only cutting power to your lights/whatever. It will alert you to the fact that something is wrong without killing you. It also means you can use the smallest possible discharge BMS to save on space and cost while still having (sort of) discharge protection.

6 Likes

Why
-You can use cheap and tiny pcb’s
-you get full power
Why not
-you lose lvc protection (who cares using vesc?)
Those are my motives.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t it be „why not“ and than only „why“?

1 Like

No it shouldn’t. That’s a smart bms. Bypassing it will make him lose a lot of features.

1 Like

Yes, but question is „discharge through bms why“ and not “bypass bms why“. So in my understanding your answer is mixed up. A discharge bms is usually bigger than a charge only bms and restrict the power output as well as charge back current with full charged cells.

I adviced him not to in another thread. I explained why I do it sometimes in this thread. Ye, I can look messy but I am sure kubbur got my point.

I‘m sure he got it. Others maybe not as it’s just not correct if you read the thread without knowing there was a conversation before.
To read the head line and than your answer is just wrong. That’s it. No trouble, but wrong :sweat_smile::tipping_hand_man: