Dirt Scooter conversion: Custom rear suspension | SSS 800kv inrunner (dual stage reduction) | 12s1p LG N2.1 2900wh | ZTW Seal 150a HV esc |

Background: I recently moved down to phoenix and lets just say its not a very esk8 friendly city. Most of the roads suck, I’ve gotten remote interference on multiple occasions, the drivers are maniacs, the list goes on and on. I decided I wanted something that still had the thrills of a long board, with the stability and practicality of a bike which led me to a dirt scooter.

My expectations for this build:

Maneuverability. I want both a tight turning radius and high speed stability.
Excessive range with minimal voltage sag even when gunning the throttle
Wired throttle to eliminate interference
An aggressive torque curve capable of reaching top speed within seconds
A comfortable ride that glides over potholes without a problem
Reliability. The only maintenance I want to do is re lubing the chain.

I started off with this:

And turned it into this:

Specifications:

Top speed: 35.4mph
Range: about 90 miles cruising at 28mph | 75 miles with lots of stops and accelerating
Battery: 12s1p LG chem N2.1 60ah
ESC: ZTW Seal 150a HV
Gear ratio: 99/2380 (11 x 9, 68 x 35)
Tires: 4.10/3.50-4 mounted on MBS fivestars

Inside of enclosure:

Tons of space left for more batteries if needed

Conclusion: Overall this build met most of my exceptions. This small motor paired with the boat esc really packs a punch. The scooter has about 150 miles total with only a few minor hiccups.

With that being said here’s a few things I would change:

If it wasn’t obvious enough, the build is really ugly. I need to organize my wiring and redesign the enclosure mount. At least everything functions as it should.

The deck is a bit skinny and the handlebars are a little short so i’ll have to get a welder and modify them a bit.

The primary reduction stage is a bit noisy due to the high rpms, so I’ll be changing that to htd5 belt drive soon.

15 Likes

Oh my god lol sometimes it surprises me what people come up with to get themselves around. That range is crazy

Congrats on your build haha although I think you’ve got a ways to go aesthetically. How does it turn with all that mass on the handlebars? I imagine it being very odd

6 Likes

All the weight on the front end helps a lot with gravel patches in the road. Specifically when turning.

1 Like

Hm very interesting. How heavy is the battery?

about 24.5 lbs. Total build weight is 60lbs.

2 Likes

The double gear reduction and self-made suspension is really cool!

Edit: wow, you even have a stabilizer on the front

2 Likes

Thanks man. I wish it looked a little less ghetto though. Y’all make such clean looking builds that make mine look like it was built with a box of scraps.

1 Like

I’d watch out for your rear suspension.
Doesn’t look like theres any bearings?
Just screw on aluminum?

That’s not ghetto bro. @ShutterShock is just really pretty.

1 Like

It’s an industrial look! And, it has massive range lol

Everyone can improve on aesthetics with experience

1 Like

Both the threaded rod and plate are hardened steel coated with marine grease. I checked yesterday and nothing has worn even slightly so it would probably take thousands of miles before any slop were to occur

1 Like

I appreciate this more than the build thread :crazy_face:

We’ve considered moving to Phoenix a few times now. Each time I look though, I don’t see any city, just a crap-ton of what appear to be endless suburbia.

3 Likes

And of course out of all that endless suburbia to live in my parents picked the metropolitan area, which happens to have the least amount of bike lanes, most amount of 5g poles and the shittiest drivers :laughing:. Just my luck I guess.

1 Like