Dino attack | Custom everything: A toddler's first (e)MTB

Hello ladymen and gentlebitches!

So, about 11 months ago my last DIY project came out of the oven. Initially a crying, light sleeping, hungry mess, he’s turning out to be quite the capable little munchkin. As he’s starting to be able to stand up on his own and maintain some semblance of balance, it’s time to fulfill our legal requirement as parents and provide him with his very first MTB…which will probably, eventually, be electrified.

The project started a few months ago, as these things usually go: Roarokit veneers, Titebond III and our modular mold with several sections removed to make it somewhat manageable size-wise:

This is a mountainboarding household, so either he likes offroading and pneumatics, or I’m kicking him out. Almost 1yo, get a job already!

Since he’s a spoiled little baby, he’s getting the good wheels. They even taste good:

Steering with springs or barrels while weighting around 10kg is pretty hard according to him (he’s whiny like that) so as a first attempt I’m using some old DKP trucks converted to TKP + some risers. In order for the HYPA hubs to fit, dad had to get creative with an angle grinder, two different size of bearings and a bunch of spacers:

I hope that in the future he gets over his skill issue and is able to handle real channel trucks. sigh

As I am ABSOLUTELY incapable of producing anything remotely artistic, mom to the rescue with the deck art! Spoiler alert: she absolutely NAILED it:

After a lot of eye contact and frowny faces (why won’t he text me like a normal person??), I understood that he had yet another complaint:

“Dear dad, don’t you realize I am unable to stand for more than 3 seconds at a time and I am therefore incapable of riding a board without any support whatsoever?”

OKAY! Jeez

All joking aside, I’m over the moon because…he actually loves it!!!

That video is from a prototype version of the barrier. Will update soon…

12 Likes

Towing mechanism

This board is not electrified (yet), but that doesn’t mean he won’t experience going zoom around the block using the power of lightning.

Extremely proud of the little guy :face_holding_back_tears:

7 Likes

Reserved 2

Since we’re here…does anyone have recommendations for the absolutely softest bushing combo?

Man this is so awesome! Very lucky to have great parents. For bushings, you could start by drilling holes through some of your existing soft ones so they can flex more. I imagine drilling them radially from the outside face would help most. Maybe even just stack cardboard circles? Congratulations!

7 Likes

If you’ve got a 3d printer (looks like you do?) you could print some from TPU with a gyroid infill for a soft bushing

6 Likes

This is amazing. Good job dad!

3 Likes

Thanks guys!! Just trying to be there for him and share as many awesome things as possible. I was also extremely lucky with my own dad and I want just that for him too.

Regarding bushings, I didn’t know the drilling trick, will definitely try.

I’m a little bit more hesitant about TPU, when I experimented with 3D printed barrels they eventually became so deformed they wouldn’t center properly anymore. However he doesn’t weight much, so might be worth trying too…

6 Likes

BTW, shout out to @Tender for showing me those risers exist and where to find them! Very niche use case, but perfect for what I needed.

Unclear if parody but either way this is gold

1 Like

It is indeed pretty cool. I’dsuggest that maybe the uprights for the handle should be on a slight angle so that the hand rail isn’t centered on the board.

It looks centered atm and it would put all his weight on one side or the other. If it was off to one side, he could keep his weight centered :grin:

4 Likes

That’s a great point and will probably do something similar once he’s put 2+2 together and figured out that pushing and pulling the barrier allows him to steer :joy::joy:

ATM is not strictly centered though, but it’s hard to appreciate from the pictures

6 Likes

Only parody here is in the tone of the writeup my dude, but I get how it seems :joy:

This took some planning and testing (and a lot more will follow as he grows up and his needs change), but I’m dead serious about making esk8 fun and reasonably safe for him so we can enjoy it together (provided he likes it!)

5 Likes

Instructions unclear, my toddler is welding batteries now

1 Like

Slow down Ernesto

2 Likes

That’s Amazing ! How di you get to cut the griptape so clean ?

3 Likes

My very first mountainboard I got when I was ~8 had a fold down handle on it. Ive searched and searched for pictures of it but I can’t find it.

The handle was cane shaped and when it folded down, it matched the profile of the side and front of the deck. Fold up, and it was a stupid handle I could kinda of balance on. I think the design would be helpful here.

2 Likes

The paint job on this thing is insane… such cool work from your wife. Love that abstract bottom.

4 Likes

That’s my better half’s merit! She used parchment paper to transfer the silhouette of the dinos, then double sided sticky tape to hold that upside down against the griptape which was then cut with a pair of very sharp scissors.

Way too much patience :joy:

2 Likes

That’s actually a great idea for when he grows up… however I’m kinda worried that he could hit himself with a handle like that on a fall