Did anyone say; MODULAR ESK8 RACK?! Post your rack!

No? Well I dont care. I made one, wanna fight about it?!

I feel this deserves a log(category? Where do I put this?) somewhere, where I keep track of design changes and improvements. The goal is to endup with a esk8 rack-design that I’m happy enough with to share with you all. If intrest is big enough, I might even look into making a small production(I realised maybe not all has access to fancy machines or shops). I’m trying to keep the profiles simple so the machining and material can be very affordable.

Long story short; Been trying to figure out a way to keep my mountain of boards away from areas of my apartment where you potentially would like to have a meal or sit down(in other words, presentable to the outside world). So I figured I should hang them on a wall, easy enough right? Well…

Intro

From the start, I had a design in my head that I quickly drew up in fusion. Turns out the CNC table I got access to, have pretty shit tolerances for huge objects so had to scale it down somehow and thats how I ended up with these buildable pieces. Bellow follows some pictures of the progress;

Design V1 (huge)

Design V1.1

Design V2.0 (Bottom -> Mid - > Top sections)

Realisation V2.0

Conclusions thus far:

• Each of the section has one screw per board it can hold. So a rack that holds 3 boards has 6 screws.

• I realise I could have mounted them on the wall narrower to easier accomodate any board. But I kinda like how the belly of the boards are showing. I guess it depends on purpose/what you prefer :woman_shrugging:

• I didn’t use wall plugs in the pictures above so I didn’t dare hang anything but bare ones, only the LY has some weight on it. (yes I have even more shit to put on the wall, staph I know I have a problem…) Its 15mm in stock thickness(wood) and they feel pretty sturdy so I dont think I need them thicker.

• The pockets needs to be separated even more to acommodate space for wheels. Else the pockes wont hold the weight of its object but the board below will bear it. This will also help with getting a drill inbetween the pockets to secure the screws into thier sockets.

• The screw holes needs to be wider… Struggled to drill the screws all the way down cause my drillbit wouldn’t fit. (the hole has a wider diameter at entry then on the backside, screw digs down and isn’t visable unless you’re really close)

• The helm holder is abit awkward at the moment, want helmet to hang flush against the wall and not poke out as in the pictures. Need to redo that.

Other than that, the idea is there. Need a few revisions to get something bit more polished going tho.
Please feel free to comment and critize. Only doing this for my own entertainment right now(and the ability to keep my apartment from looking like a horder spot) but any input that helps to make some clever design changes is much appreciated.

Peace :v::call_me_hand:

15 Likes

TLDR, but I enjoyed the photos :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Only problem with my racks is there isnt enough racks and there isnt enough boards :joy:

22 Likes

You have a big rack for a bro

9 Likes

Haha, those are huuuge :smiley:

3 Likes

To help with the hanging, join the two sides with a backing piece that you can screw into a stud in the wall :+1:

1 Like

Yea, was considering it, def. alot easier…But I kind of like the minimalisim in not having it. If its in my living room, I dont mind if it looks great as well :smiley:

1 Like

Need this so badly lol.

Few other decks hiding on porch and under my bed lol.

6 Likes

I need a rack like this.

With me and my brother combined we have 4 Eboards and 2 push boards and keeping them on the garage floor isnt cutting it anymore, especially for the parents.

1 Like

picked this up at our local skate shop for $40!

12 Likes

And I’m already out of room. Gotta check to see if the kaly and my evo will fit on there, if not I’m going to making something more robust

2 Likes

I think I saw someone use a guitar stand for thier heavier kaly build.
I definitely need somthing that mounts to wall. out of floor lol

3 Likes

It sucks cause I hung all of my guitars on the wall so I got rid of all of my floor stands!

3 Likes

Those guitar wall hooks work very well for boards. Hanger sits perfectly in the hook.

2 Likes

I’ll have to try it out. It just seems like 2 screws wouldn’t be enough to hold up a heavy board. Maybe the evo!

2 Likes

I actually used one of the guitar wall hooks for my riptide for a long time. Held up well but I used longer hardware and made sure to hit a stud.

2 Likes

Put them in studs. And yeah I probably wouldn’t hang it too high. Acts more like a resting hook I guess. Just something to hold it on end and against the wall.

1 Like

Wish I could do this, the GF veto’d any wall mounted stuff. So guitar stands it is for me:

6 Likes

So jelly of your collection

thanks man I really think I’m “done” in terms of builds, I just wana mod from here.

Give me 6 months and I bet I’m collecting parts for a 4wd board lol

3 Likes