Derelict Robot Industries

Well we all know who ranks high on this list.

8 Likes

You had me at this, sign me in for beta test it please :grinning:, and if it comes with a companion app that syncs everything when you connect, I’m sold

Good luck on the endeavor @DerelictRobot

7 Likes

canbus!!! where all the things belong… I’ve been thinking about this so much. with no ability to execute. :smiley:

though I’m interested in how the canbus protocols for interoperating with vesc and tool turn out. from what I can tell things have been “pretending to be vesc”. which feels like it may need a bit more help.
though admittedly my understanding is shallow.

I had this analogy that we keep tryign to hook things up via uart, and have more uarts for more things. it’s like those old school BBSs back in the day that only had so many modems. at some point we’re gonna make use of this network thing that’s attached and have an internet explosion… :smiley: ( canbus == network, uart == modem ) :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

The exact offline/sync method is often referred to as ‘The FitBit Model’. The idea is that the moment the board turns on, it starts recording ESC data + faults, no user interaction required. Come back from your ride, open your phone and sync up your data to your app, trying to remove the necessity to keep a phone BT tethered while you ride as that is less than optimal.

The point of the GPS/IMU module is to give additional sensors to the FreeSK8 system to completely remove the need for a phone to collect GPS ride data.

14 Likes

Benjamin has some great ideas on how to implement 3rd party Canbus support within VESC-Tool that we’ve had some discussions on. He has helped me with getting the 15S BMS off the ground, with the intention of using that as a test platform in the near future for Canbus device support. He has already done a lot of work in this area in another application, so it’s safe to say it’s in the development pipeline.

7 Likes

Why 15s btw? curious. Why not 16 or 18 or 20s etc?

4 Likes

Can’t wait :+1: awesome project!

6 Likes

This is exactly what I always wanted, for small rides is a pain to manually record all the time

3 Likes

Because the particular battery frontend/power stage IC chosen only goes up to 15S, and it’s a considerable enough savings over other options to go this route for the first one. Nice thing about BMS is once you have the logic/firmware side down, there are a number of really nice higher end 18S+ options from TI thanks to the eBike market, powerwall type technology, etc.

An 18-20S would be a natural progression for the BMS project, but crawl before you run, etc.

15 Likes

i want high polling-rate voltage/current logging solution that is independent of the esc. bonus points if it can get log tachometry straight from the motor sensors and pwm straight from the receiver. is this something you might be able to offer at some point?

4 Likes

If this company is a juicy as Andrew’s phat ass then I’m interested

11 Likes

Understatement…

8 Likes

6 Likes

Hate the name you big girl.

Call it Inertion

11 Likes
6 Likes

hey bud happy 420

what’s the e.t.a on the bms and battery kits?

i kinda need these soon and would be happy to buy prototypes

10 Likes

tiny charge/balance 12s BMS please

bms

BMS

BMSess

8 Likes

Its been 420 the whole month.

6 Likes

but 4:20, on 4-20, on April 20th is something special, and it is right… now

7 Likes

I mean, I kinda thought the only month long 420 we’ll see in our lifetime is special enough?

3 Likes