Derelict Robot Industries

Redarndarnt!

7 Likes

indeed… I’m on a fools errand to make a 4wd board… HW6 vescs on one axle (canbus connected) and HW4 vescs on the other axle (also by canbus) I’m feeling the smartest option is to not connect the HW4 and HW6 vescs by canbus but by another reciever.

1 Like

That is a profoundly worse, more dangerous solution than running a canbus cable.

You’re doubling risk for the sake of convenience (or the false premise that it’s a safer solution).

5 Likes

okey-dokey… maybe I’ll bug you later… I’ve read about canbus limiting (or terminating resistors) and all that…

it’s above my pay-grade…and I’m wondering the most acceptable wiring method considering there is only one canbus connection on each vesc…

I guess I’ll read more… thanks and I’ll be in line when I can purchase a DONG!

:doughnut: :+1:t4: :doughnut:

5 Likes

just think of the irony of having Onloops poop on one axle and Jedboxes crap on the other axle…

hijinx should surely follow

5 Likes

Since it’s a bus you can tie all of them to the high and low pins of the can bus in parallel with a wiring harness. The terminating resistors will be off spec but it should work fine still.

4 Likes

Gawd Bless you my brother!

like so?

6 Likes

Yes, like so

5 Likes

I think one of his concerns was running 4wd with a mix of v4 & v6 hardware between front/back.

Any thoughts on that?

1 Like

Eggzakery!

1 Like

wouldn’t split ppm be a safer option?

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Derail Jail 2020_Summer

Redundancy has been discussed before. It possible with UART RX’s and a uSplit.

1 Like

5 Likes

We’ve talked about this before.

Yeah, and people on this forum have wildly different definitions of what redundancy is. :joy:

3 Likes

That is not quite the same thing as what you’re describing by adding a black-box into the mix and rx lines, all things which specifically remove redundancy from the system. To clarify, I meant spectrum offset RX/radio modules tied into a singular MCU, purpose built for it and physically placed in different locations. Think kinda how WIFI routers started beefing up throughput by running multiple simultaneous bands and now all routers look like spaceships.

1 Like

Just make sure the v4 and v6 are running the same FW version and it’s 100% fine. The can protocol hasn’t changed in some time though so typically even different FW is compatible.

8 Likes

yeah sorry mate, i kinda jump in by skipping 300+ reply.

1 Like

Thanks Jeff and robot… forward for science!

1 Like