Decks with integrated enclosures

The gear meshing was inconsistent on mine and the gears were wobbly. Not surprising

1 Like

When can we expect those to release?

If you’re talking about OmniEsk8 gears I can confirm. Mine didn’t last 300km.

1 Like

Yup, those ones. That’s about the same amount of km the local rider had before he needed to swap them. I think omni is sending him a replacement.

Lmao so they aren’t hardened… Bruh

Damn never seen gears like that. I guess people can do some DIY hardening of their own?

I thought about asking for replacements but I’m not sure they’d be any better. It’s a fuck-ton of work cleaning all the metal filings out.

Any suggestions for more durable replacements?

You should be able to find some helical gears on Aliexpress. You may need to have a look around to see if they got the specs you need.

So, roll the dice again :confused:

My smoker can get pretty hot ^^

Perhaps. It’s quite strange that they wouldn’t harden the gears. Maybe it was but the gears are too small to handle the torque? Normally these gears are mass produced and hardened from factory. It shouldn’t even cost much more if any to get 'em hardened too. It doesn’t look hardened as the gears seem to have bent. If you’d like you can get them replaced and harden yourself using a torch & quenching it. My concern is getting the gears too hard and having the teeth chip off or the gear itself shatter. Maybe they were more concerned about that happening & jamming the gears causing a sudden lock of the wheels?

Dunno. I am baffled.

I don’t see any bending just friction induced wear. They have machined one another to death.

I was like a jeweler setting them up too, downright meticulous.

I did watch a video of it getting assembled by a youtuber(funny enough, was Korean and he praised the omni gear drives) but the grease that’s in the assembly process just doesn’t seem enough. Other gear drive systems, especially ones with high torque, use a good amount of good grease like molybdenum grease. From the video I watched it just doesn’t seem like there’s enough grease.

The grease actually seems like the best part of the kit. Its the stickyest I’ve ever used. I could pull long hair fine strings. The gears were still well greased when I disassembled them, the metal granules were stuck to the inside face of the housing, I guess centrifugal force works.

I’m not sure lots of people actually bother to grease their drives after the first time setup. I’m not 100%, but I don’t think stooge gears use grease either, and they see the most abuse from torque

I have used 14 tooth mod 1 gears which are smaller than those. They handled a lot more power and they looked brand new after 1500km. This is either a cost cutting measure, which shame on them, or this is an oversight, which means there was no testing, also shame on them.

1 Like