DAVEGA X Updates

Has anyone tried updating to v5 yet? Any success stories to share? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m anxiously waiting for my davega to be delivered today :slight_smile: I’m going to use it on my spintend ubox powered dual motor scooter. Will I be able to keep my custom bluetooth module connected ? The other side of the VESC is all taken up with the throttle/brake connections.

3 Likes

I believe there are two UART ports on the ubox. If you have both occupied I’m afraid you’ll either need to sacrifice the BT module or use a PPM remote to free up the other UART port.

3 Likes

his throttle and brake are presumably using ADC since they’re for a scooter, which is on the same JST. He should be able to use a DaveGa from the tx/rx (which shouldn’t be in use) and 5v/gnd from one of the other headers (assuming you’ve swapped all davegas to 5v)

2 Likes

That’s what I was planning to do. And yes… I do use ADC1 and ADC2 for throttle/brake respectively. I use the other UART port exclusively for the BT module.

2 Likes

Just thought of something… does davega pull stats from both VESCs ? The one I will directly connect to and the one on the CAN bus ?

2 Likes

In case you need a 2nd UART, I would recommend the usplit. I have davega running through 1 usplit connection and a line to my arduino which I use to control my board lights running though the 2nd usplit connection. My usplit is connected to 1 side of my ubox and the other side is occupied by the built in remote receiver.

3 Likes

Yes, it pulls data from all VESCs on the CAN bus.

4 Likes

I just powered it on and it seems to work great :slight_smile: Tell me… is there a way to edit fonts, colors, etc to our liking more ? I know my way around microcontrollers and their file systems very well. I’ve programmed a lot of projects in the arduino IDE and played with ESP1866 and ESP32s…

1 Like

Unfortunately not. The code is closed source.

2 Likes

It would be nice if you considered and update that would allow a little bit of customization. Maybe editing an external config file or a couple of customization items in the gui. Also, it would be nice if it were able to connect and get information from a Daly BMS. I can help with that if you’d like.

1 Like

I like the gui how it is. :smiley:

4 Likes

That’s probably doable with the bluetooth module. I have an experimental implementation of a BT communication with the LLT Power BMS.

Is there a documentation for the Daly BMS communication protocol?

I wonder how people feel about the laser etching on DAVEGA housings. I had a laser contractor directly in the building but he has moved away, which makes the logistics slightly more complicated. This made me thinking – do people even appreciate the laser etching or would most actually prefer a blank?

There are some minor advantages of blanks. Buttons could be customized without violating the labels (some people mentioned they would rather have the up/down reversed). Landscape orientation wouldn’t have completely wrong button labels and a sideways logo orientation. Plus, obviously it’s some time & cost saving.

Let’s have a poll:

• laser etched
  • blank

0 voters

1 Like

On related note, does anybody have experience with laser etching anodized aluminum with a diode laser? 10W diode lasers are available and affordable these days. I’m thinking of getting one for doing customs. However, from what I have read so far the results with a diode laser are not great and the etching takes forever since you need to go slowly and/or do multiple passes. I don’t have much space in my office/workshop so a CO2 laser is probably not an option.

2 Likes

I usually hate logos on things but that bottom bar just looks so strange without one. Maybe a bigger screen / smaller bezels? :laughing:

4 Likes

Aren’t there any 3d printer sized engraving/ cnc machines for your average consumer?

1 Like

I guess that would be the diode laser. I’m just not sure if it’s good enough and though I’m all for science I would rather not spend 500 EUR only find out it doesn’t work for my use case.

You could modify printers with laser heads easily enough. Creality sells an official one for the Ender 3, and there’s more powerful aftermarket ones that bolt on as well.

2 Likes

Have you done any research on Youtube yet? I’m sure some people there have messed around with what you’re trying to do

1 Like