DAVEGA X Updates

So I just had the first PayPal claim against me resolved. It was started by the owner of the @Pierson_Brice account which is inactive. The guy ordered a DAVEGA from me in December. I shipped it and it was successfully delivered. He then contacted me in February regarding a technical issue. Turned out he swapped the RX/TX wires so that was easily resolved.

Then two weeks back, I got a notification from PayPal that a claim was started against me, the justification being this was an “unauthorized transaction”. I explained the situation at the PayPal ticked and provided the proof of package delivery. I also emailed the guy asking what this is about. No response.

Today I got a notification from PayPal that the dispute has been resolved in buyer’s favor. WTF? Nevertheless, they didn’t debit my account because I’m a “valued customer”. Good for them. Else I’m afraid that would be the last time I had anything to do with PayPal. I’m still not quite sure what to make of this. There’s clearly something wrong with how purchasing works these days.

28 Likes

Wtf, this is wrong on so many levels.

Did you contact PP again after the decision?

6 Likes

I didn’t. At the end I have nothing to complain about. It’s just weird.

1 Like

Paypal sucks, dont use it.

5 Likes

I don’t really want to use it. Customers do seem to want to use it though, even if it means they pay 4% extra (compared to a credit card).

Funny thing. Yesterday, I repaid $3 to a customer because their spare glass screen protector got broken during transport. I of course did F&F because it’s a small amount and I wanted the customer to get the full amount. It has cost $6 to do the transaction. Literally 100% fee. For changing two numbers in the PayPal database. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

12 Likes

@mackann on your site dont you offer klarna? i think thats quite a good service
also if people want protection for their purchase there are some other sites you can use.

maybe he should do it to try to establish a precedent that this is not okay if it happens again

From what I understood, the payment was a credit card transaction charged through PayPal. The customer then claimed a chargeback at their financial institution and they have decided in buyer’s favor (which is strange). PayPal lost money here and fortunately had the decency not to take it from me.

6 Likes

I’m sorry that these things cause agita, they do for me as well. As I get more and more projects for other people, I get mild anxiety from taking PayPal, since at any time the rug can get pulled out from under me.

I get some comfort though from most people being decent, and I try to do the same. So, for what it’s worth, I think most folks here appreciate what you do and will always try to offset the PayPal headaches however possible. I love my DaveGa, even though it’s not on a board currently. But I recommend it to people I do repairs for and when I buy another I will avoid PayPal to do so.

4 Likes

That person is prob going to break his femur riding his esk8 board. The Esk8 gods have confirmed their karma. :bowing_man:‍♂

1 Like

I was wondering how stupid it would be to order a 2nd davega baseplate, and cut out a truck baseplate square out of it, so that I could mount my davega on drop-through trucks without it looking out of place floating like that… Seems like the davega baseplate is 1mm thinner than my truck baseplate though :frowning:

I guess a 3d printed spacer would look just as good; wondering if someone has maybe done that already?

2 Likes

Hey @janpom
I am running my board in drop through format.
When mounting the davega directly to the trucks, will it mate up easily or do I need to do something else to make it work?

Edit:
I remember way back you said it may look a little odd on that iteration without maybe a 3d printed spacer. Is this still true?

it works

1 Like

Nothing changed in that respect. It will work but won’t look very nice unless you fill in the space under the baseplate.

2 Likes

@janpom , sorry for my ignorance here (just getting into telemetry), is there a post somewhere describing the differences between DAVEGA and METR (other than the display)?

Edit: maybe this is a better question for @rpasichnyk, my apologies if so

They are completely different platforms so it’s hard to compare. Metr is more advanced in many ways. You can change the VESC config from Metr. You also get ride logs.

DAVEGA gives you the display and is better suited for displaying realtime data.

I personally like DAVEGA better as odometer since it never misses out. This is an advantage over the Metr Pro module since that one only works if the mobile phone is around which may not always be the case. This advantage no longer applies in comparison to the Metr Pro CAN though which doesn’t need the mobile app to do the logging.

I like the Metr a lot for “dialing in”. Being able to change settings without taking the board apart is very convenient and having the logs is helpful for experimenting with various setups as well as for troubleshooting.

Once I’m dialed in I no longer use my Metr that much since I find it more convenient to check telemetry on the DAVEGA.

That said, rather than trying to decide between the two, I think it’s best to have both. Though there’s some overlapping functionality they also complement each other nicely.

Plus, there are even some Metr-DAVEGA (MEGA) features that we have developed together with Roman and that you can benefit from if you have both Metr CAN and DAVEGA. You can have the current time displayed on the DAVEGA and you can change DAVEGA settings from the Metr app. And we have some more ideas.

12 Likes

I think the thing that makes me want a DaVega the most is the gear and total mileage monitoring

Also you don’t have to remember to start anything at the beginning of a ride. Then as a bonus, you can easily see speed and battery level while riding which allows you to use remotes like the puck that do not show those things

I think I would still use both a lot. I don’t have a davega yet but I use metr logs to look at current draw and speed at different points in the ride

6 Likes

@janpom

Hi,

just saw 4.7rc in the Firmware list. Can you already say something about this update ?

Cheers

1 Like

There’s a fix for dual ESCs (Stormcore, Unity, Xenith) running the 5.x firmware.

3 Likes

Oh, I’am running 5.2 on my unity. Something I should look for ? Haven’t had any problems so far.

1 Like