DAVEGA X: Gauging interest

Glad that you managed to sort it out. :+1:

You have to go easy on the bolts. Remember you put steel bolts to aluminum. Unfortunately I don’t have spare baseplates. You can try to either rethread the hole or use a 3D printed baseplate. You’ll find thingiverse link on davega.eu website.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot

If you manage to get hold of some baseplates please tell me

1 Like

@janpom Mid ride my DavegaX did a full reset, mileage counter reset, parts lifespan reset, wheel size and gearing reset, Units reset…

2 Likes

Huh, really? That’s bad. I haven’t heard about that happening to anybody else. I guess I’ll need to prioritize some automated backups.

I’m sorry. Do you have an online backup that you’d like me to help you restore?

2 Likes

Nope, no online backup, I’m fine having the Odo reset, only took a couple minutes to put back in my settings :grin: I just wanted to let you know it happened. If it helps it happened on one of the NonWifi modules.

2 Likes

Displays finally arrived to the country, after nearly two months! Also, the next batch of housings (including red ones!) is already clearing customs. I’ll be ready to start shipping again in a few days. At last!

I know that some of you have been waiting for your DAVEGAs since November (!), which is really unfortunate. Number of pending orders is approaching 50. (I’m so glad I decided not to take anyone’s money before I’m ready to ship.) In the last couple of months, there was a series of bad luck. Literary every singe thing that could have gone wrong, went wrong. Batches of faulty parts that I had to send back and wait ages for new ones. Some less obviously faulty parts that made it into units that I sold and then had to replace. Severe delays in supplies. And now the covid. It was a nightmare and I was close to giving up completely several times when things got really frustrating.

It seems things are finally turning to the better though. I decided to put more focus on QC in the next batch. I have reports of HW problems including restarts while using WiFi and restarts or white screen while riding. There seem to be some relation to the 5V supply from VESCs but it also seems that some units are more susceptible to the problem than other. I’m thinking of putting every unit through at least a short test ride. This may turn out too time consuming to be feasible but I still want to give it a try. The weather is nice these days and I like the idea of being able to go riding and tell my wife I’m working. :slight_smile:

I’m also quitting my daily job and will be taking some time off starting from July. This will allow me to allocate much more time for DAVEGA. I have a lot of ideas. I’d like to rent a small office and set up a mini workshop. I think this will be big leap in the DAVEGA development. Stay tuned!

24 Likes

Glad to see that things are taking the good corner !
I can’t understand more when you say you want to give up due to all this frustration.

Also, I can’t emphasize more your will to build a little workshop for your projects !
I did that move somes months ago, this is sooooooo comfortable and being able to separate hobby/work from home is defo priceless. :+1:

Good luck and don’t forget to keep some time for yourself and your family. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Great news!

It should not be hard to build a ride simulator that would allow you to do ride testing at a reasonable scale. A set of bicycle rollers would be one easy option.

Good luck to you. I’m really happy with the product.

1 Like

That’s a good tip. Thanks. I think it’s mostly vibrations that cause problems though and testing that on a simulator would be more challenging. I’m not sure how to build such thing. I’ll start with test rides over some bumpy roads and see how that goes. It’s fairly easy to swap a DAVEGA on the board. It’s a matter of 1-2 minutes so I can imagine I could put 10 pcs in a backpack and test all in one afternoon.

4 Likes

@janpom, testing against vibration could be even easier. If you securely fix a board to a bench or stand and then weight the drive wheels so that they are out of balance, that should induce a vibration while the wheels are under power. If you need both resistance and vibration, that might be more difficult, but I would imagine it could be done.

Agree that the units are easy to swap, so if the number of units is somewhat small, actual road testing would be possible. That said, for testing reliability, you should be riding the same stretch of road with each unit, which could get rather boring.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Out for a ride!

4 Likes

Messed up my baseplate :angry: now gotta see if this printed one is anywhere near as good

I have used 3D printed initially. It will work. You will just need to replace it after a few hundred km while the aluminum one should last pretty much forever.

Maybe the alu can still be re-threaded?

2 Likes

How would I rethread?

Man I love this thing

You should get one.

6 Likes

Hey @janpom, 2 questions:

1. How long will those red davega covers be available for? Will someone be able to simply buy a red cover separately, without the davega guts? (It would match my board perfectly :weary:)

2. will replacement glass / screen covers ever be available?

I’m absolutely anal about not scratching my phone screen, but I figure the davega screen will scratch eventually :thinking: Id like to have a replacement on hand if that happens.

I understand this stuff might not be available until you build up more inventory, I’m just asking generally :ok_hand:

3 Likes

@janpom I’m interested in that red one too :thinking:. I’m guessing I’m further down the line in the waiting list but no idea if I can request a change of color if there’s enough stock

I contact everyone shortly before shipping and in general it’s not a problem to make last minute changes. I put a note at your order that you prefer red. :+1:

And yes, you’re quite down the list unfortunately. It will take me a while to get back to you, probably 2-3 months. I’m sorry.

2 Likes

This should be pretty straight forward if you are careful. I would just check that the new, larger replacement screw head fits into the space on the top piece. You may also need to drill out the hole on the top piece. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_and_die

1 Like

probabluy not worth spending liek £10 on a kit which i will basically only use once

will see how the 3d printed baseplate holds up