Davega problems or questions

@janpom i have recently installed a couple of davegas (the latest hw) on maker x d75s with fw 5.3.

The refresh rate between the esc and the davega is incredibly slow and inconsistent on both boards. Is there anything I can check to see why this might be happening?

Hard to really see in the video but the little packet indicators at the top are just red most of the time while the board is actually moving

2 Likes

@JoeyZ5 had a similar issue with his metr not refreshing properly.

With his D100? So likely a hw problem on the esc side you think?

1 Like

Does it only happen while riding or do you get red blinks even while resting?

Do you have any other DAVEGA that you could connect and see if that makes any difference?

While resting its all good. As soon as there is motor input it goes to shit. I’ll get a better video.

I do have another davega but its the same hw version and this is happening on two different boards, same setup.

1 Like

sound on so you can hear the motors

I see. Thanks for the vid. Do you have any other UART device that you could connect and test? Metr, Robogotchi?

@Oliver recently reported a similar kind of issue and he’s using the Trampa 75/300 VESC. I wonder if there’s something about these high voltage VESCs that’s causing issues in the UART communication.

1 Like

The d75 and the d100 both use 100/250 FW, not sure about the d60.

I really don’t want to open these boards again but they both have bluetooth modules… i will watch the RT data in vesc tool while doing some zoomies and report back.

1 Like

You could connect something to the DAVEGA cable (with a little adapter that I’m sure would be easy for you to make).

I just quickly checked with @rpasichnyk and he also had issue reports on Metr Pro (UART) with 75/300 VESCs so maybe there’s something wrong with the UART there. No reports for Metr Pro CAN so it sounds like a UART-only issue, but the evidence is still limited for being certain.

1 Like

That’s fucking genius. Ok, let me do some poking around.

1 Like

Yeah. He switched to a metr pro can and it was all good.

Yeah I think the D60/75/100 UART kinda sucks with some devices.

My metr pro UART didn’t work consistently
Metr CAN worked
My Flipsky nrf51 worked
MPU6050 IMU didn’t work consistently

This is exactly the behavior ive been getting for a few months with my DV6. Tried almost everything and i couldn’t fix it. After a long enough ride, this behavior led to complete freeze of the Davega screen.

@Oliver just PM-ed me that his DAVEGA is not working well with VESC 75/300 when under throttle but when he switched to 100/250, all is well, so this indeed looks as a problem with some VESC types.

We also discovered that DAVEGA FW v5.04 has a nasty bug that causes an infinite loop (freeze) when you press a button while riding. (While it’s rare that anyone would try to press buttons while riding, a button press may also be triggered when you hit a bump.) So if anybody is having freezing issues on FW v5.04 please update to the latest FW where it’s already fixed.

Running a BioX
14/67 gear drives
Davega FW 5.05

16S
190KV
175mm

RAMM calculator puts unloaded top speed at 46mph.
eskate calculator puts it at 48mph.

On the bench the Davega is displaying 42mph top speed.

Any guesses as to why this is lower than the calculators?

Took it for a test ride and RIDE GPS says I went 34.8mph while the Davega says 37mph. I know there is always a discrepancy between GPS and Davegas but that made me start looking at bench speeds.

This is what I’m getting for your specs on ESN calc.
I find its pretty accurate for loaded top speed.
I’ve never used the Ramm one.

One thing that helps narrow that gap is to measure your tires as they are not always the spec diameter.
5mm swing either way can be noticeable.

1 Like

True on the loaded speed in relation to the tire size. Ill need to measure to check those as Im on hubba hubs which are a tad wider.

But bench speed, unloaded, should be around 46mph. Im getting 42mph in the vesc and davega. As far as I can understand tire size being off shouldn’t affect this at all.

EDIT Ive also posted in the Bioboards thread to get their take on it since Im running a BioX

1 Like

Im guessing it your duty cycle limit start being at 85-90. This maybe how it acts on the bench, not 100% sure.
Try bumping that up, especially if its 85. I usually run 90-93 depending on setup.

1 Like

Correct.

85% duty start
95% max

But doesn’t adding this stat into the calculator under efficiency take that into account?

1 Like

Not really, efficiency setting is more for mechanical Ederlosses to the drivtrain and friction. DCLS is its own thing, it really softens the top end speed quite a bit.
I found 85 was too low.
It feels as if you get to 85 in a hurry and then it just crawls up to 95 and takes some time.
It’s a noticeable difference going to 90-92.

The calcs are just close estimates as there is variables at play. Motor kv isn’t always spot on and is almost normal to have up 10% deviations from spec. Also, the correct wheel size is another.

3 Likes