Custom UrbanCarver - MountainBoard Hybrid

Only thing you have to worry about is thermal throttling. Do you have motor temp sensors?

You mention the 60A BMS… is that wired for discharge? In that case, it’s a pretty severe bottleneck.

2 Likes

@RyEnd Thanks for the answer! The motors are sensored, so yeah, I can see the motors temp in the Unity app. And also yes, the BMS is wired for charged and discharge. Does that mean it should protect the motors?

Cheers!

It means to protect the battery, it will shut down if you pull above the rated 60A.

Battery amps = amps pulled from the battery. This is always at the battery’s operating voltage.
Motor amps = amps pulled by the motors. This is factor of duty cycle and operating voltage

It’s worth looking into this so you understand what you’re setting up, but the long and short of it is that you can set motor amps higher than battery amps, and the motors can pull more amps (albeit at a lower voltage) at a lower duty cycle until it reaches at battery amps @ battery voltage.

SO. Even though you are turning your motor amps up past 60 (30 each) you are only benefiting from that at lower duty cycle, and become very limited as you exceed 30A @ 12S. For reference, @ 50% duty cycle (roughly half of your top speed) you are already beginning to be limited to below 60A.

1 Like

@RyEnd Thanks a lot for kindly explaining that to me!

I was a bit confused because I knew the BMS has 60A discarge, yet I wasn’t sure if those 60A were split between motors (30A each) or it can push 60Amps in each motor… thus my concern of setting the motors with more than 60Amps each.

So I guess in order the benefit of the more power I should switch my BMS for a 100A one? I know my battery pack should be capable of 105 A maximum continuous