Custom Subsonic Century 40" Issues x2

Please go watch a video of a board being pressed.

2 Likes

The defects that are an issue are from carelessness in applying the clear coat and CF. No suggestion from any of the images that they have any impact on the deck itself.

3 Likes

I respect this chikā€¦

she deserves to get what she paid for simple as that

if this is subsonics best effort, she deserves her money back.

and this is coming from someone who absolutely love his century 40 deck
and would buy againā€¦ but Iā€™d certainly send it back 100% if it was not as advertised

the second effort is worse than the firstā€¦

and the wholeā€¦ ā€œyeah the technician scratched the boardā€ upon assembly bullshit, yet the product was shipped, is completely untenable

8 Likes

She hasnā€™t stated that they arenā€™t accepting a return, has she? If so, I missed that.

Just return it.

1 Like

double negatives are a bozo no-no

3 Likes

Hey bwahl602, thank you for your comment. I agree with you words!

Yeah, its hazy and those dust and dirt particles really stick out. I laid the deck by a window for these photos posted above, and wow does the blanket of bumpy particles really stand out. To put it another way, they not only stand out, those thousands of dust particles take away from the gloss and the visual clarity of the carbon fiber. All that pretty carbon fiber, with its rational grid system, totally borked by crappy dust and dirt filled clear coat, it really takes away from the materiality of the board.

I agree, there should definitely be Quality Control improvements at Subsonicā€™s price point for custom decks. What is even more concerning is the evidence of seemingly no Quality Control at Subsonic for my boards I received. The questions I have are:

Deck iteration 1:

Shouldnā€™t the persons involved with skinning with carbon fiber have caught these glaring and very recessed indentions?

Shouldnā€™t the persons involved with the enclosure fitting have caught these glaring and very visible series of scratches on the tail on nose of the top of the deck?

Shouldnā€™t the persons involved with packaging and shipping the deck have caught these glaring deficiencies?

Deck iteration 2:

Shouldnā€™t the persons involved with repairing the 2nd clear coat have caught these very visible recessed indentions in the carbon fiber skinning, and fixed those issues before the applied clear-coat over the defects?

Shouldnā€™t the persons involved with repairing the 2nd clear-coat have caught these very visible dust and dirt particles, and stopped to wipe it down before re-applying clear-coat?

Shouldnā€™t the persons involved with repairing the 2nd clear-coat have caught these very visible dust and dirt particles now perfectly sealed in hazy clear-coat?

Shouldnā€™t the persons involved with packaging and shipping the 2nd iteration of my deck have caught all of these glaring deficiencies?

A big disappointment lies in the fact that I clearly communicated the 1st deck iterationā€™s deficiencies to Anne @ Subsonic via email. I even asked her to please discuss my email to her with the Subsonic team so that they could all be on the same page and use my 1st board experience as a learning lesson so they could improve. Clearly they did not learn from that experience or attempt to do better, overall. :unamused:

Totally reasonable, and also totally subjective, to be fair. I wish I could look over all of these defects, but itā€™s just really careless work.

4 Likes

Deck, enclosure, inserts, drilling, shipping. $415.00 is sufficient for quality work, or else I would believe that Subsonic would not be asking for that price.

I would rather not fall into a baited question of an either or scenario, as I care for the quality of my board along with the fabrication and aesthetics. It is 1 board, not 2 different boards I can choose between.

Oof, we possibly have difference in opinions and expectations of quality. I am comfortable that you have different expectations regarding quality craftsmanship if you would be happy with your board in a state like mine is, however I am not comfortable with my board in the state it is in. 100% psychological, yeah, possibly. But this is my purchase, it is my board, so who is to say my ā€œpsychologicalā€ perspective is no better than yours?

1 Like

Have they agreed to fix the second one?
Or refund you (part/all)?

2 Likes

hopefully this entire wall of txt went to subsonic prior to posting this on a public forum

EDIT:

but perhaps sheā€™s looking at us as a sounding board of which direction to turnā€¦

3 Likes

Better yet if it all went to Subsonic and then posted here after all was resolved and everyone happy (or made whole again).

3 Likes

Fair call. She should stick up for herself. It looks crap and that is terrible service. (But itā€™s not worth a witch-hunt or FBI investigation - unless it gets left as is, then Iā€™m grabbing my pitchfork)

4 Likes

I just thought about it, an eboosted enclosure runs for what? 150-200$?

3 Likes

Most expensive is $150 DS 44 enclosure :cut_of_meat::fried_egg:

EDIT: subsonic 40 SS enclosure is $125 :fries:

4 Likes

I totally agreeā€¦

Iā€™d give subsonic every chance (really 2 should be enuff, but Iā€™d probably agree to try 3 but in that case, Iā€™d negotiate a price reduction, or notā€¦)

if she got into logger-heads with the vendor (which I doubt) Iā€™d go for my credit card to charge back

THEN
Iā€™d air my dirty laundry for everyone to seeā€¦

EDIT:

I donā€™t know how the rest of the retail universe deal with this shitā€¦
but if I was basing my reputation on making quality product, and lil Timmy came up to me and told me he send out a defective product that was 100% his faultā€¦

all his shit would be under review, and whatever qa/qc these boards go thru would triple on his workā€¦ rev. 2 would have never-ever-never hit the post office

5 Likes

For sure! And I am thankful for your words and efforts to communicate with me here. :grinning: I believe it is important to stand up for what I believe in, which is perfectly evident by other examples of Century 40ā€™s I have either seen or seen photos of. To me, aesthetic matters. Why else would I pay for carbon fiber skinning? Why do you think Subsonic agreed with my assessment and offered to ship it back for repair the 1st time? The aesthetic matters, quality craftsmanship matters, attention to detail, and the obvious matter. In my heart I also believe my voice and opinion matter, hence my couple hours reading and replying to all of these helpful posts. I am appreciative! I also believe I am doing the right thing by bringing this up in the forum, to have this community see this and voice their opinion. Aesthetic or not, I am one unhappy customer.

Ok, thank you for that information. I do not understand the time between placing glue on the top maple ply, and laying carbon fiber skin over that glue. That is the more pertinent question, in regards to a possible ā€œat the timeā€ manipulation of the glue and/or carbon fiber, as to possibly immediately rectify the recessed indentations. For example, If I laid carbon fiber over a glue covered maple ply, and that carbon fiber surface value was of poor and inconsistent quality - without direct knowledge of this manufacturing procedure or the timing involved - I would like to think I had options to fix the issue. Pulling the carbon fiber off quickly, re-skinning the top ply, or reconstructing the top ply & glue & carbon fiber, or just starting from scratch, I would hope Subsonic had options.

Ok thank you for this clarity, so in that case Subsonic possibly could have altered the top carbon fiber skin. I am still dismayed that they did nothing to resolve the defects.

1 Like

Is that shipped?

1 Like

No sirā€¦ shipped to LA is approx $20ā€¦ so letā€™s call it max $150 fer the enclosure :pancakes::baguette_bread:

2 Likes

Hey Bill! Thank you so much for your input and support, I appreciate your words and gesture. :grinning:

Thank you, I totally agree.

1 Like

Gosh, your words sure do ring an alarm bell, I sure hope that Subsonic is not going out of business, they generally make real cool stuff, I was super stoked reading and seeing and riding my friends Century 40ā€™s.

1 Like

Good question. I emailed Anne @Subsonic at 3pm PST today, no reply yet. I will keep this post updated to future resolution.

1 Like