Custom Subsonic Century 40" Issues x2

Must be close enough, it can be customized and add up to the price pretty quick.

1 Like

Why can’t I edit posts anymore? No one makes more typing mistakes than me. Anyhow.

There is nothing wrong with this deck. The scratches can be buffed out, the dimples can be covered with grip tape. It’s entirely aesthetic.

7 Likes

Honestly I’d be chill with the first deck, if I was feeling particularly spicy I’d say ‘hey, this looks like a b stock deck, can I have 10% off?’ but it seems like reasonable damage…things happen and it looks like small cosmetic stuff

Second one would bother me more thought… The careless clear coat kinda blows, but the dents I wouldn’t mind

5 Likes

I think he is concerned that if the finish is as bad, it could be that the laminate is also poor🤷‍♂️

1 Like

But it looks like a good lamination to me. Even the top layer.

1 Like

Good question. It bothers me enough to take the time to document this issue and write this forum post to ask for advice and thoughts from the community and friends. Although these pictures I have included are clear, in person while looking at the entire board this thing looks bad, like “its my first time skinning a deck in a messy uncontrolled manufacturing environment” bad, then I am going to sell it for $415.00 bad. If I made this deck, I would start over and learn from my mistakes. Since I have seen other Century 40’s skinned with carbon fiber that appeared to have none of my issues, personally I am not satisfied with this board enough to own it in its current state. Theres some real nice talent on this forum that makes beautifully handcrafted carbon fiber skinned decks. A very fast fellow San Franciscan rides one, and boy is their deck pretty.

1 Like

Dust won’t realistically affect the structural integrity of the epoxy the it’s ability to bond in that concentration

3 Likes

Can you post another pic of the second deck, from a farther distance above

1 Like

Thank you, and well said. The thousands of raised peach fuzz imperfections, and 9 or so recessed dimples really look not so good, and in the sunlight it is really noticeable. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Correct, one deck, 2 iterations on quality, shipping provided by Subsonic, thankfully.

1 Like

I mean, it’s not like I have x-ray vision or anything, so I can’t be sure, but I doubt that Subsonic could get the deck wrong. It’s pretty much impossible once you have a system that works down. There’s always excess glue, rather than not enough. I think it’s just the “custom” stuff.

Imho, “custom” means hand made. Hand made means visible imperfections.

JMO.

2 Likes

If you want a perfect looking deck, Glitter, why not attempt the repairs yourself? You could build little dams out of clay around the dimples, and fill them with clear epoxy. After that you could buff the whole board.

1 Like

I meannnn when ya spend money on a custom deck your goal isn’t to go back and fix it lol

7 Likes

Thank you for your feedback and opinion. Some of the problems with this board are possibly entirely aesthetic, and that is my aesthetic I am concerned about, an aesthetic I did not pay $415.00 for. Also, I am not so sure I agree with your stated sentiment “There is nothing wrong with this deck.”. Obviously my opinion differs, and I would never consider covering a carbon fiber deck with grip tape, hence my words about that in my original post above. Please see section " Deck 2, issue B":

“I had no interest covering up presumably fixed carbon fiber skinning with grip tape.”

I can tell you right now: Subsonic isn’t going to deliver a deck to his standards.

2 Likes

I get the very same deal from Trampa.

Scratches, fiberglass sticking out that gets in your skin, etc.

1 Like

With regard to CF skinned decks, Kaly has the best finish, but even his boards have very small imperfections.

It’s almost impossible for a human to make something appear as though a machine made it.

2 Likes

I wasn’t implying any issue caused by dust. I would be more concerned about cure time of the base coat or stuff like that. But that’s something you shouldn’t have to worry about from a renowned deck builder.

2 Likes

I agree and understand

1 Like

The aesthetic surely didn’t cost $415. What’s the base cost for the deck? What’s the actual cost for the customisation.

The perfectionist photos and novel drama are a bit misleading and don’t come off well.

The real issue is they tried to remedy a small finish defect and made it worse. That seems clear, and maybe fair. Why not ask for a partial or full refund and be done with it. Big some frit and epoxy or grip and it will be hidden.

4 Likes