Custom Generative Designed Truck Project

Nice, so we will probably see a video of it being machined?

5 Likes

So, the primary benefit of this is weight savings? How much are you saving? How much of a safety barrier are you building in your force estimations?

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely.

2 Likes

In theory, yes, but it would need a few iterations to get right I guess. I’ve put a safety factor of 2 on it, and doubled the loads as well, so in theory it’s a safety factor of about 4. That’s if the loads are valid. There’s lots of guesswork in this first attempt.

3 Likes

Do you plan on doing verification testing?

I for one, never mind what the computer model says, don’t trust very thin pieces of aluminium to hold up during actual use over time.

Are you going to use a material with an endurance limit like a ferrous metal or maybe Titanium?

1 Like

I’m totally expecting this to have fatigue issues. I thought I’d ride it a few times then put it somewhere as an ornament and make a robust version. I’m also about to send a different version of the model to a local crowd that prints titanium, to get a quote.

6 Likes

I always thought stuff like this was mostly for the “cool factor” and “i did it” rather than weight savings.
Shaving a few grams off a 20-30lb board is pretty negligible

2 Likes

Not everyone has all imaginable equipment bolted to their boards. Also, think less about one aspect (weight saving) and more about the potential of the whole (optimal design, no excess material, etc).

If this kind of design was applied everywhere, the benefits add up, plus someone must start somewhere to see the possibilities and make the mistakes treading out footsteps others will follow in.

[edit] Plus, who doesn’t like cool looking components? [/edit]

5 Likes

I’m expecting the quote to be around $a kidney…

3 Likes

Not sure if they would be compaible but I have this axle piece x4 from a Sabre Truck. (M10x1 Thread)

I could mail them to you if you could use them

6 Likes

Wow. That is super generous. I’ll change the design to suit them, then that will be less parts to machine. Thank you so much. I will DM you.

1 Like

first time poster, long time follower… I love the process and the work and the machining are awesome, but I prefer a thru-axle vs. stub axles, I know that is not what you’re after, but while playing with simulations… throw a solid thru axle into the equation and see where that leads you!

7 Likes

Cool idea. Will have to try that sometime.

2 Likes

Progress today! The part is on the machine at Saunders Machine Works.
Check it out: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9PxS5_AbuD/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

9 Likes

Looks awesome! (and expensive :star_struck:)

2 Likes

Update! - Videos coming soon…

28 Likes

Now thats awesome! Cant wait!

2 Likes

I think you switched materials on your deck and enclosure :stuck_out_tongue:

In all seriousness though, its friggin awesome!

1 Like

impressive! how much did it cost you to make this deck ?

I was given it for nothing, at a machining tradeshow.

1 Like