Custom Generative Designed Truck Project

Epic! I haven’t seen that. Thanks!

Sounds good. I’ll invite you into the project.

1 Like

Will definitely be checking that out. Out of curiosity, mind if I hop on that fusion file aswell? Would love to see the workflow of someone more experienced than me

1 Like

Here are some examples of different results generated from different loading conditions.

1st, the standard hanger for reference

And here are some of the generative outcomes

9 Likes

Sure, no problem. PM me your email address. Would be great to get some discussion going on the loading conditions, and get you guys to critique my assumptions.

6 Likes

if they’re for hub motors remember to factor the torque

4 Likes

Great point! I mentioned an assymetric loading due to the torque above, but you’re absolutely correct, it’s not actually an additional torque on that side, but instead a force from the belt tension.

1 Like

with a belt you’ll get much less torque but the motor mount itself still acts as a lever, applying some torque to the truck, though i haven’t calculated how much

1 Like

Hmm… ok, that makes sense. I’ll go back and look at what I did there. I can’t actually remember how I loaded that flange.

That last one looks pretty visually appealing. Have you considered mirroring the motor mount for 2 motors? Most of us on here find one motor to be annoying to ride with a single motor because of torque steer, loss of traction, weak power, etc lol

I have to wonder how much that would change the generation too, having uneven loading conditions would obviously make it run differently

3 Likes

Wouldn’t the force of hitting a bump with a heavy motor attached to a long mount be way more than the torque could ever be?

5 Likes

that depends how much of the bump the tire absorbs but I only compared the hub motor torque vs the normal force of standing on the board with no bumps

3 Likes

That’s instantaneous torque though, not persistent. It would be considered an impact load and depending on the material I would magine that would make a difference in the actual perceived effect on the truck

It is pretty hard to track all of the miscellaneous loads though, I would personally probably tend to just throw a bigger fudge factor on to account for impacts

5 Likes

another big issue I see is it doesn’t appear you’re using a through axle so if the material is aluminum, the truck doesn’t have an endurance limit, so over time, vibrations will lead to failure

4 Likes

Yeah this is true, a lot of the cast trucks use a through axle, but comparatively the machined material should be stronger than cast because of metal grain.

You’re still right about vibrations though. The type of aluminum would make a difference a little bit but ultimatey could fail. Vibrations could run the cycles up pretty quickly too

We all know what happened with the aluminum fLExl trucks lol

1 Like

I didn’t think of mirroring it, but I’m about to start a mountain board project, so I was planning on doing a new setup with loads on both sides. The mirror option makes much more sense. Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious… I’ve experienced the frustration of a single motor on my road board, spinning the wheel on heelside turns, so I totally get what you’re saying.

4 Likes

wouldn’t want this to happen:

4 Likes

Yeah most of the time I get zero motor spin on my board even on sharp turns because the torque of the other wheel forces the truck down and the other motor compensates

1 Like

I love these comments. I should have got this discussion going before I started working on this design!

1 Like

Absolutely. I’m totally expecting a fatigue failure at some point, and a bit scared of it to be honest.