crappy board upgrade (first build)

noob here, hoping to jump onto the eskate scene and was looking into bulding my first board over the last 2 wks. well…long story short, was going to wait until payday to purchase parts when i came across a used electric skateboard for next to nothing …literally…

no info on specs atm, but guessing:
1x 5055 brushless motor (no idea on KV)
1x 6s1p li-ion battery
83mm wheels
(no info on pulley /gear ratios…yet to remove)
27" long, 8" wide
24/36V Single Motor Electric System Driver Noninductive Longboard Skateboard Controller Remote ESC Substitute - 36V (…this is just a guess looking at the components on the board)…

had quick ride on it…and it’s alo quicker than i thought…all seemed ok until i was told i need to charge it.
now, guessing the board use to connect to the battery is the BMS and have to disconnect the esc and connect the balance to the battery…(kinda jerry-rigged!..ignore the photo, i connected the bms to the xt60 from the battery end lol)

havent had much time to take apart properly to check all the parts but looks like the battery enclosure is coming loose…still unsure if swelling what?? …

let me know your thoughts… obviously wont be keeping as is long term…but for now try to improve on the basics:
-replace battery (suppose this is what i need - https://uk.dhgate.com/product/6s1p-5000mah-22-2v-li-ion-battery-pack-22/417556777.html?f=bm|GMC|pla|236117068|16091357788|417556777|pla-296303633664|103006001|GB|ecodream|c|2|&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=GMC&utm_campaign=ecodream&utm_term=417556777&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkIq3xK6k6gIVmKztCh0Oxw2NEAQYBCABEgJh0_D_BwE)
-replace charger (any suggestions on charger)
-install bms/charging port in enclosure
-install battery indicator

4 Likes

Step 1: ensure board will not explode under your feet. (Pretty sketchy)

Step 2: wait and save up until you can build a new board altogether. Ride that in the meantime.

Step 3: harvest motor, throw the rest in the trash.

Welcome to the community!

5 Likes

if you need your lunchbox on board i wooood suggest alu for better and more taste :smiley:

…its like @StriateZebra mentioned. Dont build a ship of theseus.
Make sure your crap is safe and go for a new build while riding this shit to trash.
Chinese boards are also an option if you wanna ride cheap but an upgrade seems like burning money.

3 Likes

hey thanks for the advice…still learning the ropes here…
…just an update, took the thing apart this morning and found the battery itself isnt ‘swelling’, it was just the crappy enclosure.
tested it and seems ok-ish…it did cut out after moving it around…easily resolved by a bit of hot glue

not looking to run this thing to the grave but thought it would be good to at least see it and dismantle it (for some reason i learn better that way)…
but thanks again…going to compile a list of parts for ‘my own’ build…

1 Like

Just a quick update. delving deeper (checking all the connections etc. i found the connector from the battery (xt60) hadnt been soldered on very well. (below)

this is indeed looking like the ship of theseus haha…

anywho, soldering these on with new xt60 connectors and securing with some additional heat shrink once each wire has soldered and wrapped.

the battery itself, i’m unsure of, it has a balance wire coming out (so guessing no built-in bms) and its almost as long as the board. …my guess is these have been assembled this way for a thinner profile…

UPDATE: looks like a slimmed down LiPo battery…ignore the previous readings lol…

3 Likes

all connections re-soldered and works like a charm…even gave it a good stress test - no loose connections drops…
one question, the battery wires seemed a little to short (even to use heat shrink properly around the connectors - as the wire heats up when soldering)

any suggestions, i could either:

1. cut an extend the wires (soldering)
  2. stick to using the extension )

i read that extending the battery wires is not advised, but i dont have much choice here…

1 Like

Soldering extensions to the existing wires will be difficult, and tearing the battery apart to solder on brand new ones is a hassle. I would just stick with the electrical tape around each terminal setup you have now.

2 Likes

with regards to the battery, just rewrapped it…no signs of any damage.
no sticker or info on the battery, so to be on the safe side i will probably invest in a lipo balance charger. question is, as i dont have any other info than what i can physically see (eg. 6 cells, 6 wires - balance) is it a safe bet to charge it on the balance charger with a lower amperage and ~4, 1C and 22v? …if it takes longer to charge/balance, thats not a problem as long as it doesnt overcharge/discharge…

any suggestions to a charger (preferably one that check IR too?)

so far…total cost of work is £0.00, just a couple of hours soldering and a few cosmetic upgrades (from parts i already had lying around).

Also. a bit of a self explanatory question, but after some use i noticed that one of the cells is slightly lower that the others…ie…one of them is 80% while the others are 95%.…if i use a balance charger to balance these should that resolve the issue?

Gonna bite the bullet and get a balance charger. See some genuine sky rc lipo chargers. Will the 60w version suffice or would i need a 80w for a 6s lipo?