couple of quick questions

First does the battery percentage in vesc tool related to the amp hour setting set in setup or is it just the the battery voltage

second what’s a good soft and hard cutoff voltages for p42a cells in 18s, currently at 3.4 for soft and 3.0 for hard, wondering if i can go lower. Thanks.

quite sure its both, especially if you select iron-phosphate profile. Check the code if you’re curious :slight_smile:

The standard values VESCtool sudgest for Li-ion are ok.
Depends alot on your application and how much voltage sag it causes. If sag is alot. The actual resting voltage of your cells can be quite alot higher. I usually tailor this according to the specific board with the cell characteristics paired with current draw. Generally I put soft cut off around 3.2 and hard to 2.9. But thats my personal preference. If you see yourself leaving your board on the shelf on low SOC then you might want to keep those levels higher.

4 Likes

ah good to know thanks. My vesc shat itself and reset all my settings, forgot what they were.

1 Like

This will make more sense to you intuitively if you look at the p42a discharge curve.

There’s very little energy below 3.4v, so it really doesn’t make much difference if you set soft cutoff at 3.4v, 3.3v, 3.2v… I use 3.3v and 3.0v as cutoffs.

1 Like

this was very useful when setting my solo up so thank you Brian

2 Likes