Could DIY be for me?

Hey guys I’m looking for a sanity check and recommendations. Am I crazy to think I can scratch build an esk8 for a good price? The main reasons i think this are because I own pretty much any tool I could need – including a lathe and a mill. I’m also quite experienced in building electronics already and have surplus wire, connectors, etc. I also own a 3d printer and am decent at 3d modeling. I also own a skateboars with fat cruiser wheels on it that I’m willing to drill… I was thinking a dual rear motor setup but I could be convinced otherwise. Let me know if im crazy to think I can manage this without breaking the bank, if not, I’d love some part recommendations – thanks

2 Likes

With that arsenal behind you, i’d say yes, go for it. I didn’t think i’d be able to do one because i knew batshit about electronics, but 10 boards later here i am.

6 Likes

You’re not crazy at all, but this shit is humbling for even highly-skilled dudes. So go for it, but try to recognize points of diminishing returns.

9 Likes

oh this shouldn’t get moved into Is DIY right for you?

it is a bit more of a discussion of this paticular Loser’s manufacturing abilities so maybe that warrents its own deal

4 Likes

It’s fine here for the moment, or until the content czar @wandagoner gets the itch, and I don’t mean the recurring one down under.

7 Likes

I h8 that guy…

kidding… :wave:t4:hi Wan :wave:t4:

3 Likes

oh totally go for it 100%

Fully DIY built boards are trivial. The best drivetrain is the hub motor due to its spectacular reliability so making your own hub motors is definitely the best course of action.

1 Like

Building one will always be at least as expensive as buying one, probably more expensive. But the end result will be much better – and serviceable when it breaks down.

Having a lathe, mill, 3D printer, and being able to model will help you tremendously.

Can you solder?

2 Likes

yes, i can solder pretty well, my other hobby is building custom lightsabers

2 Likes

YES

this is definitely for you!

2 Likes

Ask @Blasto he is in charge of the kool-aid!?!??

3 Likes

@Blasto need moar kool aid

1 Like

hahahaha we’re both on the wrong thread…

I blame you @JohnnyMeduse

1 Like

Don’t @ me, y’all had enough

6 Likes

Who!!! Arr… not the telll me the wrrrrong!!!

1 Like

well, i guess ill start putting together a parts list. any recommendations?

start with board and enclosure

2 Likes
5 Likes

i have a board and plan to 3d print an enclosure. the board is a normal skate deck so i might have to upscale but that’s yet to be determined. once i get motor and batteries figured out ill see if i have the space

2 Likes

@BigBadLoser You’ll be 3d printing a case or a mold for a case?
Vibrations and 3d prints don’t mix and match very well. And considering most of your money will be inside it, I’d suggest making sure you don’t lose it all on a speed bump

2 Likes