Could DIY be for me?

Ask @Blasto he is in charge of the kool-aid!?!??

3 Likes

@Blasto need moar kool aid

1 Like

hahahaha we’re both on the wrong thread…

I blame you @JohnnyMeduse

1 Like

Don’t @ me, y’all had enough

6 Likes

Who!!! Arr… not the telll me the wrrrrong!!!

1 Like

well, i guess ill start putting together a parts list. any recommendations?

start with board and enclosure

2 Likes
5 Likes

i have a board and plan to 3d print an enclosure. the board is a normal skate deck so i might have to upscale but that’s yet to be determined. once i get motor and batteries figured out ill see if i have the space

2 Likes

@BigBadLoser You’ll be 3d printing a case or a mold for a case?
Vibrations and 3d prints don’t mix and match very well. And considering most of your money will be inside it, I’d suggest making sure you don’t lose it all on a speed bump

2 Likes

i can build it out of aluminum or mold it if i need to. on an unrelated note what’s the consensus on buying used parts for a build??

3 Likes

I love used parts except when they turn out to not work when it itn’t disclosed.

Makes a build cost a lot more when you spend $50 on a very heavy duty paperweight.

2 Likes

I will advise you single motor 2WD to save money. Same perfomance as dual motors in my experience.

I use printed cases for few years, no issues. Just model them beefier.

4 Likes

I’m envious; if I had a lathe I’d be making custom motor shafts for a setup like yours all day :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Every Craptor Ii owner once believed this mantra, now ask them.

4 Likes

Just dremel and round diamond bit. We don’t need keyway for our forces.

2 Likes

this looks quite intersting. You got more info on this style of build?

1 Like

I would highly recommend against

• a 3D printed enclosure
  • a conductive enclosure, such as aluminum or carbon fiber
  • an enclosure that isn’t “good”

Don’t skimp on the enclosure, it’s über-important. Just fork over the money and buy one. DIY everything else :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still here been steady reading about parts on various build threads. Probably gonna use a single 6374 as the motor. As far as batteries go, for my first build I would prefer buying some packs from HobbyKing and wiring like 4 or 5 of them up to be my battery solution. Anyone have any recommendations as far as that goes? Saw somebody on another build thread use some 2S2P hardcase batteries which looked promising for me. For a controller solution I figured I’d just buy a HK-GT2B and do a case mod on it… The main things I’m undecided on are the ESCs and a good BMS, don’t really know anything about those yet. If anyone has any good info to dump on me, let me knows. Thanks for all the help and recommendations so far

Forgot to mention: Probably gonna use a drop deck I have handy for wheel clearance and some 97mm wheels