Copying a longboard deck

Hi guys, some time ago i finished welding up my deck press.

So what to do when you have a press but no mould? Copy a deck ofcourse :rofl:

Some time ago i got approached by someone to see if i could remake the century 40 deck by subsonic, since apparently they have gone belly up. Here is how its been attempted.

Get idea.

Yeah babyyy a crude drawing.

Gone to the metal boys, they let you cut your own sizes which is nice.

Get rid of lil cousins quad.

Weld two rectangles

brace the rectangles.

Watch angrily at bird that shat on workpiece.

Checking if fitting sheet is possible.

Placing deck in mould and filling empty spaces with setting sand. We used this:

Make sure to extend the curves of the deck as shown in pictures, this will take some time but make sure to do it in a timely manner, the sand dries up and is not good to work with anymore.

Place plastic sheet on top.

Filled with concrete.

Thats it for now everybody! Will it work? How will it come out? When will the next half be done? You will see it next weekend right here in this thread!

40 Likes

dang this is exciting haha can’t wait for the next update

5 Likes

Stayn alive stayn alive ayy ayy Century 40.

3 Likes

Serious dedication!

2 Likes

May I get one when it works ? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

now that I think about it, does this method conserve the concave on the y direction ? looks like you get only a xz profile ?

2 Likes

If you look at it it does, the sand is modeled so it extends the curves of the deck. We only modeled the sand flat where the mounting points of the trucks are.

5 Likes

Look familiar? This is before the tail delaminated.

1 Like

Update time!

Not fully hardened yet, that takes a month or so, wonder whats under it!

Some rust coming through due to it not being cast thick enough, shouldnt be an issue though.

Oooh nice!

Concave of the deck is copied perfectly, however not perfectly extended. But that shouldnt be an issue for what we are doing here.

Next time for the second half!

17 Likes

Quite exited about the results and the deck is still good!

5 Likes

The old deck still being good is like icing on the cake. Now you can use it to locate the truck holes.

4 Likes

Another update! This time the second and hardest half.

The square had to go and the large plates had to be marked for cutout first.

Plates have been cut to fit, dusty!

Plates have been placed and reinforced.

Then it came to notice that the deck all of a sudden didnt match the curves on the mould exactly anymore in some places. There could be some reasons for it.

1. The deck works with the weather, its currently hot and dry.
  2. The concrete shrunk when it was drying causing it to not fit exactly
  3. We didnt press the concrete hard enough, however since this previously didnt show this is unlikely.

So,since the deck was standing off a little bit it has to be ankered to the mould for the second phase.

No concrete left to cast so

To be continued!

Next weekend!

23 Likes

this is my new favorite thread

6 Likes

What happened to lil cousins quad?

3 Likes

Great work Luuk.
This is awesome :sunglasses:
Update !!!

7 Likes

Awesome progress, can’t wait to see this in person one day :wink:

4 Likes

We ( as in my uncle :rofl: ) put an extra reduction in it so it fits him better, he crashed like a maniac some time ago so now hes a little demotivated :rofl: still going strong though :blush:

4 Likes

So update time again! Finally got time again and did the second half. Pics here:

Filled with sand and made nice.

Put in second part of mould and made sure all the corners are the same height.

Put in concrete and letting it dry.

In the meantime i was helping my friend with his personal deck project. We made a mould out of MDF and pressed his deck, he wanted it mostly flat (there are concave pockets to it though). Hes still a rooky diy-er and kinda clumsy so im proud of him!

Still a WIP ofcourse but i can see it going well.

Also been racing little cousin on his quad (dont tell him im letting him win so he gets motivated again “ofcourse”, he is ruthless on his lil vehicle though)

18 Likes

I can reccommend everyone with an atb to try grass races, ridicilously fun and good practice for keeping traction.

Also the sand might seem curved weird in the pictures, however thats due to the shadows.

3 Likes

So the mould has been opened today!

Not too bad imho, next weekend i will patch it up a little bit to make iboth sides smooth and do a test run, based on that i will make some adjustments in depth etc. Some updates coming still!

This pour was definetly too wet though, it made it nice and smooth but also resulted in some unwanted folds of the plastic sheet, also some concrete leaked under the sheet.

16 Likes